I just got back from my first trip to Oregon and have
to say that it was the best place that I didnt catch any steelhead . I got caught between when the salmon have run out and the steelhead come in . The place where I was at(upper Rouge ) was running pretty high as I was told by the locals. I knew that Id be fishing big fast water but O.M.G that stuff was Big And Fast. I did hook into only one steehead but it was a rodeo ride. Lasted about 8 seconds and my tippet parted company with my leader. Irritated? You bet but hey, no guarantee in that game.
I tried some of the other rivers a bit west of Medford but the recent rains had muddied up the waters. A local guide and shop owner that was realy a great fellow said that if the water where I was (upper Rouge) was clear I was better off there as he
was'nt getting much going on in the local river.
I only regret that I only had a few days to fish there. Oh yeah , I thought that I'd see what was going on with the trout? First cast, Bang. Second
cast,Bang, third cast, Bang. So there were trout , just not many steelhead. I saw a couple guys catch a few steelhead( three in all )nobody slinging flies caught any.
There sure werent many fly anglers out there, mostly dredgers (no I'm not a snob).
Next time I go I want to stay at least two weeks or more.
This was the best place I have fished in 48 years of fishing. My mistakes not withstanding.