I was float tubing this past weekend on a "trophy" lake where most the trout average 19-20 inches. I caught both rainbows and cutthroats, and I noticed that both species had a very distinct and different "fighting" style when hooked. This wasn't anything new, but it prompted me to post these thoughts on FAOL to see if some of you have had the same experiences and what you may attribute them to.

On the lake, when the bows were hooked they didn't really do much of anything and just kind of allowed me to pull them in. It wasn't until they saw me that they took off on endless line-stealing runs, which invloved a lot of acrobatics followed by a su8bmarine run straight to the bottom. After that, they'd relax and allow me to once again pull them within three or four feet of my net. Once they saw me, same scenario. This would happen 5,6 or 7 times until they were tired and came to the net. After being unhooked, they went on their merry way. The cuts, on the other hand (though smaller) would run in all directions when they were hooked. They rarely ever surfaced or jumped. And it's been my experience that browns do the same (though I've never caught one in this lake, and don't know if they're in there).

As I said, it's been my experience that this behavior exhibited by each different species extends far beyond the lake I was fishing, and includes small stream, high mountain lakes and deep river trout (for lack of better terms).

Size aside - because I've had 10 inch trout that have fought harder than 5 pound trout - can anyone share their different experiences with grappling different species and maybe throw their opinion - scientific or otherwise - out as to why they think that may be?

I don't think this discussion should be limited just to trout, but that's what I fish for the most so that's what I'm closest to.