+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAOLers @ Somerset International Fly Tying Symposium

Default FAOLers @ Somerset International Fly Tying Symposium

ran into Monty, Mantis, lou t, and Charlie among others at the event yesterday.

Lot of tyers there, and the regular vendors showed up, so there were plenty of tying toys to fondle.

It is humbling to see the quality of the tyers, both stateside and abroad. And one of the young ones, maybe 10 yrs old, just blows me away. And he doesn't even need glasses to tie.

BTW - heard that Gudebrod is getting out of the fly tying biz. Too bad, 'cause I'm fond of their threads and their old style funky spools. I think Orvis (with regular size spools) relabels some of Gudebrod's stuff, so wonder what they'll do next?

With Uni, Gudebrod, Veniard, and Danville, along with the odd Griffith and Benicchi threads, I have everything I've ever felt the need for.

tl
    les

Hi Les,

I presume this was Somerset, Pa. I only live about 45 minutes from there. Since I am new to all of this I would love to have attended. Is there a way to get on some sort of notification list when these events will occur in advance, especially in this region?
    Steve

Steve,,, we list the major shows. This was a tyiers show. Looks like we should have listed it too.

Default Somerset, NJ

Rookie - this is Somerset, NJ, which is fairly near NYC and Trenton/Newark. That might be a long day trip for you, but the big fly fishing show in January might be worth the pilgrimage for you. Car pool, bring money, but leave credit cards at home.

In November, Chuck Furimsky, the same impresario, puts on this International Fly Tying Symposium.

tl
    les

FYI Re: Somerset show...

http://www.flyfishingshow.com/somerset/

There will be a bunch of FAOL members there. I was planning to make a post regarding an informal get together as we get closer to the date of the show. Always nice to put some faces to the names - anyone interested? Dot Man will have his fancy booth set up and has some awesome new products to show off, including Fly Tyer's Finger Treatment and Zip Cast. Poor fella's gonna be mobbed! There will be several other sponsors of FAOL in attendance, so make sure you stop by and say hello and let them know you appreciate their FAOL sponsorship - paying forward works everywhere.......Ed

On the website they had a list of the featured tyers and where they were from.
    Jack Gartside was listed as being from Pluto
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Les,

Yes, that would be a long trip but certainly sounds worth it.

JC,

It seems like I just keep cleaning egg off of my face. I hate to contribute it to old age.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread