+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent Shaft Paddles

Default Bent Shaft Paddles

Anyone out there tried bent shaft paddles before? They are supposed to make lake paddling much more efficient, because it keeps your paddle perpendicular to the canoe a lot longer than a regular paddle. I tried one last weekend, but it was so windy I had a hard time telling how well it was working.

Russ

Dang good question!

I was wondering about that myself?

Take care,
    chris

My opinion! The bent shaft paddles are superior for
    cruising. Making miles. But for fishing situations
    I prefer a straight shaft paddle for manuevering my
    canoes. Warm regards, Jim

I would think that a bent shaft would stay in place better then, a straight one when placed sideways accross your craft while battling the beasts of the deep.
    chris

I have used bent shafts quite a bit but as Jim Hatch said, I find them best for straight line paddling. They are not designed for control strokes like a J-Stroke or Draw so they tend to be awkward when getting yourself into a good position while fishing. In this case I usualy prefer a traditional paddle like a beavertail design that I can keep my strokes real quiet.
    -Erik

Thanks for the replies. As I said, it was so windy when I tried one that I had to constantly keep the boat pointing into the wind to get anywhere, and it was not easy to figure out what the paddle was doing. A traditional J stroke was worse than useless, though it took me a minute to figure out why.

It is good to know there is some equipment I don't really need.

Russ in NC

7. Default

Bent shaft paddles are supposed to be easier on your wrists and elbows minimizing joint problems by maintaining a more neutral position.
    Straight shafted paddles vs. bent shafted paddles is strictly a matter of personal preference! If you have joint problems you will find that tthe bent shaft paddles are more comfortable. As a whitewater paddler I have used both but prefer the bent shaft. I can do all the strokes - the notion that the bent shaft limits or eliminates certain strokes is ridiculous! My suggestion is that you find a paddle you are comfortable with and go with it...each person is different!

The standard reason for the bent shaft is power. The bend puts the blade at the optimum angle during the most powerful part of your stroke keeping the thrust in line with "straight ahead" for the canoe. I use one for straight ahead cruising though I use a straight paddle when I find myself in the "guide" seat and have to do a lot of tweaking to position the craft. I should just learn how to do everything with the bent shaft.
    Bear742

I have only used a bent shaft for minutes once.
    I was not favorably impressed.
    What I do know is the Olmypic Whitewater paddlers use them.
    Those Olympians are all fanatic about everything to save ANY time whatsoever!
    So, there must be an advantage to the bent paddles. I just didn't have time to get used to them, I guess.

Having spent much of the past 20 years as a wilderness canoe and fishing guide I almost always recommend a strait shaft paddle for fishing. Paddling with a bent shaft paddle changes all of the dynamics of paddling. To start with the bent shaft is designed for a short fast pace and the steering is done by the bow (front) paddler switching sides of the canoe. Whereas, the strait shaft is designed for slower paddling pace and the steering is done by the more tradition J-stroke and C-Stroke. A traditional strait paddle is also easier to scull with and maneuver the canoe while playing a fish.

Bottom line is. I have tried numerous bent shaft paddles and have several of them collecting dust in my garage but the paddle that makes everyone of my trips is a hand carved, cherry Ottertail design. The only time that you might catch my fishing with a bent shaft would be if my plans included 2 or 3 days of hard paddling and portaging to reach a remote part of the Boundary Waters or Quetico Park.

+ Reply to Thread