+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beef Barley Soup

There are recipes, and there are 'RECIPES', as any cook worth their salt will tell you.

Some resturants, are willing to share their recipes, others are not, the choice is their (and should be honored, in either case). When in the U. S. Army, I was assigned the duty of running a 1000 troop consolidated Dinning Facility (Mess Hall), where the troops were very unhappy about the meals served. First thing I did upon taking charge of the facility, was to burn the recipe box, and have everyone write home for the "Family Recipes", opened the facility to a 24 hour schedule. Also baked our own breads and pasterys, started a short order counter, and created self-service serving tables.

There was aways hot soup, and sandwiches available between meal, and after hours.

I did not see any reason that a soldier should spend any of their pay, buying a meal. If they wanted something special on the menu, they just had to request the item, and if possible the recipe. Mostly the troops wanted good food, and food that had taste, and texture. Most of all they wanted it fresh and hot, not something that had been out on a serving table, getting soggy or lukewarm.

As the word-of-mouth traveled around about the changes in the facility, we were tasked to also serve vegetarian (all three types), kosher, and non-dairy meals (for troops that could not tolerate dairy products).

We even created a system were, when steak was on the menu, everyone got a "Perfect Steak", just the way they like it (Medium Rare, Medium, or Medium Well). Yes you can please "All the troops, all the time!"

Since that day, I have been collecting recipes, whenever, and wherever possible. Some people collect stamps, I collect recipes.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 10 May 2005).]

Steve,

Well said, ... I think we could say my list is more like "Instructions".

Sort of like the difference between fly fishing and "standing in the water waving a stick"

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:42a5d]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:42a5d]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 10 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I've tried making beef barley soup numerous times without much success. Seems I can't get it just right. I'm going to try Chris' recipe next time and hope for better luck. I can see where there is a better chef than me makin' that stuff. Thanks Chris.

Ol' Bill

Bill,

The trick (imho) after getting the right broth is getting the right measure on the barley.

Too little and you only have beef soup, ... so much and you get a homogenious mass of congealed carbohydrates.

I like to add the barley slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon, ... when I start seeing 5-7 barley on the spoon at all times, I have about enough.

Good luck, ... good soup is a real treat.

(PS, same recipe, no beef or barley, ... add celery and diced carrots and 1/2 cup of green lentils makes a nice soupe too.)

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:35ef2]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:35ef2]
    Christopher Chin

Not soup but great recipe.

Horseradish encrusted beef tenderlion.
    A whole beef tenderlion (Filet Migion) s/c
    Grey poupon mustard ( acts as adheshive)
    Fresh grated horseradish.

Paint all sides of meat with mustard, encrust with grated horseradish. Roast at 275 F. till done to your liking. About 3 hours for medium.

Works well with deer and elk also.

Russ

Hey there rjf3;

Your recipe sounds ALMOST better than the beef barley soup.
    Great recipe though- rest assured, it will be tried and results posted with proper credits.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Christopher and snipe- I tried Chris's beef barley soup with a few tweeks of my own and it was MIGHTY! I believe it was responsible for the sun finally coming out today.

My additions:
    -not just any bacon, the best I could find
    -A tea ball with a chunk of cinnamon stick, several cloves, a bay leaf and a sprig of rosemary, a 1/2 tsp each of fennel seed and sichuan peppercorns simmered in the broth
    -chopped carrots
    -a can of organic fire roasted chopped tomatos
    -a full pound of stew meat
    -12 cups of water instead of 10 (I'm up to my knees in the stuff now)

Kosher salt and tabasco chipotle sauce to taste.

Chris Rules!

[This message has been edited by flyangler (edited 11 May 2005).]

Hey Flyangler:
    That looked SOOOOO GOOOOOD I couldn't wait. I printed out and ATE THE RECIPE.
    NOTE: Ain't the same, something missing.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

The Beef Barley sounds terrific but Ox Tail soup with Barley edges it out with me. Course I'd be happy as a clam with either one.

Spin

------------------

Marco- I ladled some into an envelope for you but it ended up tasting kind of flat.

+ Reply to Thread