+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hike-in- hippers

Default Hike-in- hippers

On a hiking site I belong to (yes I belong to other sites) there is a discussion about these
    http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5
    One poster says he plans on getting them as a gift for his dad for hike-in-fishing.
    Opinions??
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

If the Wiggy's are as they appear; a giant sock that goes OVER your existing boot; I can't see the "rubberized sole" lasting more than a few fishing trips.

The Wiggy's appear to be for occasional use, not slogging around in rocky streams for hours. The best option for hike in wading IMHO are the Korkers Konvertables wading shoes and either wet wading or a pair of stocking foot hippers. Put in the regular lug soles to hike into the creek and once at the stream put on the hippers if desired and swap out the soles to felt or whatever. This is my system for LONG hikes.

Of course you will have wet shoes for the hike out but if you wanted to you can pack an extra pair of neoprene socks and a light cotton or silk sock for the hike out or wear the hippers.

There's no way those rubber soles would last for much hiking and especially any climbing over rough rocks or in cornfield stubble.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I think they are meant to carry and then slip on just to use crossing streams and such...I've been in that situation hunting and this is much more convenient then say carrying hippers taking off the boots...etc.

Those aren't going to last- they're made for easy on & off to cross streams while hiking or hunting. An old hunting catalog used to offer those years ago for that purpose.

I think it's a great idea. I frequently hike into great spots and we're NOT talkin paths here.Deadfalls, ruts rocks etc. Sometimes for a few miles. I couldn't even think of carrying my waders or hiking in them. This product may not be super durable but all I need is something lightweight that I could slip on when I FINALLY get to my spot. Till now, I usually wet wade cause there ain't no way I'm carrying extra weight.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread