+ Reply to Thread

Thread: line recommendations for a 7.5' 6wt. fenwick fiberglass rod

Default line recommendations for a 7.5' 6wt. fenwick fiberglass rod

was wanting some advice for a good line to pair with a 7.5' fenwick 6wt. fiberglass rod. thanks

First lines I would look at are the Cortland Peach and Sylk lines. Just seems right to me.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

My 8' 6 wt. Fenwick glass rod likes about any 6 wt line I put on it. I went through several 6 wt lines over the 10-15 years when it was the only rod I owned. DT, WF, L ...seemed to make little difference.

dpenrod:

Consider the vintage of the Fenwick and go from there BUT I would heartily recommend a 444 peach since there is a good chance that was the benchmark around the time that rod was built.

After that any regular taper line like a Rio Classic. Make sure to stay away from specialty tapers that may be a half size size heavier. They may just overload that brown beauty.

Which model Fenwick? I have an FF756, two piece that is very happy casting a WF6 line (the line is an honest 160 grains - exactly a 6 weight). I also have an FF756, four piece which casts very nicely with a WF5.

More important is how much line you tend to cast. If you typically cast short distances, you will need a heavier line to load the rod. If you are always casting for the next county, then a lighter line will load the rod properly. The actual weight of 25 feet of 7 weight line = 30 feet of 6 weight = 35 feet of 5 weight. The more you tend to hold in the air during a cast, the lighter the line you need to load the rod.

Tom

tom, i have the 2 piece FF 756 coming. i have pretty much decided on a cortland peach, unless someone has a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jgestar
    Which model Fenwick? I have an FF756, two piece that is very happy casting a WF6 line (the line is an honest 160 grains - exactly a 6 weight). I also have an FF756, four piece which casts very nicely with a WF5.

More important is how much line you tend to cast. If you typically cast short distances, you will need a heavier line to load the rod. If you are always casting for the next county, then a lighter line will load the rod properly. The actual weight of 25 feet of 7 weight line = 30 feet of 6 weight = 35 feet of 5 weight. The more you tend to hold in the air during a cast, the lighter the line you need to load the rod.

Tom
    Dear Tom,

With all due respect I think you are seriously over analyzing this. I fish a Sage 490-4RPL most often, and I fish it over distances ranging from 10 to 55 or 60 feet. Based on what you are saying above I'm thinking I either need a 1 weight or maybe an 8 or 9 weight line on the rod, yet somehow it works just fine with a Cortland 444 Peach WF4 whether I am chuck-n-duck nymphing or fishing size 22 BWO's. That should be impossible should it not?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Dpenrod,
    Cortland Peach lines are good stuff. I've got one that has taken a lickin' for years. It always floats and casts just fine. Also, Cabelas brand lines are made by Cortland and/or Scientific Angler (but the colors are garish). Cabelas in KCK is selling them cheap to clear the shelves for next year.

Avalon,
    There is an "ideal line weight" that comfortably loads a rod. Of course, that line weight depends on your casting style more than the information on the rod blank. I feel you should pick a line to match your typical fishing situation. You can cast it closer or further, but most of the time you will be casting in the comfort zone. I don't recommend a new line for every situation. I recommend you consider your normal situation before you pick a line. Certainly you can make 10 foot casts with your rig. But try an hour of only 10 foot throws - you can do it, but you won't enjoy it. Your timing must be perfect for every cast. Move that cast out to 35-55 feet and you'll happily fish all week.

Tom

Default slick slick slick

I'm no line expert but I have that rod in the 7' variety and it SLOOOOOOOOW action and not easy to load IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread