+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patterns that you'd like to tie?

Default Patterns that you'd like to tie?

I can tie a PT nymph that I think is pretty good (not bragging, though). It's a simple pattern, but I'm still not very happy with my Hare's Ear nymphs. I've tied way more PTs than anything, and I think it takes a while to learn the little tricks that work for you.

One pattern I'd like to be able to tie well is a muddler minnow. And I'd like to be able to tie a good Parachute Adams. But it takes a while to figure these things out.

Is everyone else like that? Are there patterns that you'd like to be able to tie well, but haven't got it down yet?

BFB,

Just as an 'excercise' for the last several years I've been tying a few of the 'Fly of the Week' every week that I'm home.

Good 'practise' for a wide range of skills, and it helps fuel the imagination with lots of inovative concepts.

As far as 'standard' patterns go, the best way to learn them is to tie a bunch of them. Tying a dozen dozens will get you up to speed on just about ANY fly. You can just cut the dressing off the hook on the first few dozen if they don't measure up to your standards (the concept is that the last several dozens will be much nicer...).

You'll have to decide where you want to go with fly tying. Just tie the flies that you want to fish, or get into fly tying as it's own form of recreation. Up to you, of course.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have a harder time with the pt then the haresear. I was afraid of the parachute flies until I read a tip by bt flyfishing and it was on the fly of the week last week if I remember right. On parachutes I tie in the post do my dubing and end up at the post. I tie in the feather and point it up and start at the top of the post and wind down. When I get to the bottom of the post I tie the hackle off on the bottom of the post and then wrap my head and done. The only thing I add is I but head cement at the top of the post where the hackle starts to double insure the hackle staying where it should.
    My favorites to tie are haresear, adams, and leeches. These have been the most effective flies for me.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Buddy,

I like your idea about tying up a few FOTW patterns. What a great way to keep your skills sharp in all areas. I will definitely give that a try. 8T

Default I would like to be able to tie a full dress salmon fly...

I really like the looks of the Kate, Black Doctor, Torrish, Bulldog, Gordon and all of the old Salmon flies. I have recently taken up these intimidating flies and found that they really aren't that hard and all just require that you take your time and repeat them until they get a lot easier. If you care about what your flies look like and work to make them better, then you already have the most important ingredients. Practice and experience are really the only two things that you seem to need to get these things nailed. Keep at it and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

my GRHE also look terrible, just the way the fish like em'

The one fly that I have tried and tried but have not been able to master is Mike Lawsons No Hackle. I have the video and everything but I just cant get those wings to stand up.

I have tried miserably to tie Salmon Flies. I don't know how Ronn Lucas does it, but you got to admire those works of art of his. I also would like to tie a Humphy and have it turn out just buggy enough for fish to stop laughing at me. Al Beatty is a master at tying the Humphy and I have gone as far as buying some of his creations, plus reread several times his recent article in Fly Tyer on tying the Humphy, but still can't seem to make a decent fly.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

to this day, if it has feather wings, be it a wet or a dry, I cannot get those shaggers to work out. Every fly I fish is a hair wing!

+ Reply to Thread