+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montana/Wyoming Fishing Trip

California Bob: if you feel the need to go ahead and PM....thats fine with me
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Great info. I'm still doing some research in regards to making a trip but will utilize all of your input.

What time of year of would be best to target a trip ? Not being familiar with the Montana snow melt situation, when generally do the rivers/streams/creeks become fishable ?

I don't mind fishing some strong water however I'm not into blow-out situations.

Just talking about a trip gets my adrenaline pumping.

Thanks all.

Bob

About the only time you don't want to go is June (that's actually mid-May to mid-July). Some years the melt starts late, etc.

Bozeman is a good central location. You can also head a little further east past Livingston to Big Timber for the Boulder River, a wadable freestone, float the 'Stone, or find a few other smaller streams in the Stillwater Drainage (another wadable freestone).

Right now I looking at using Bozeman as the central point for the trip.

Would you recommend that we possibly hit one of the lodges/with guide service, stay in a local Bozeman Hotel and fish independently, stay local and go out with a guide ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Bob

Generally, two things about Montana. One is there are many rivers to choose from. Two is you can spend quite a bit of drive time between the big names.

To make the best of your limited time and to see a number of rivers, you have to float at least one of the big names with a guide. It will be well worth it. I think you can stay in a local hotel and use a guide and do some independent fishing too.

I am of the personal opinion that many of the freestones do not require a guide during the low flow months. You may want to get Fothergill & Sterling's "the Montana Angling Guide." A bit outdated, but good river descriptions and maps for fishing access. I am told there is a newer version out there. I have yet to see that only a special fly works in any of them.

I am not any help in regards to rivers near Bozeman. I spend all my time in our local streams, all within a 30 mile radius. I don't use a guide, but then again I live here and have no worries if I get skunked. I'll just hit it again the next day.

Bob:

As for guides in the Bozeman area, unless fishing areas where floating is a possibiltiy (Yellowstone and Upper Madison in particular), I dont feel they are really needed. If I had to use a guide I would check out Greater Yellowstone Flyfishers (www.gyflyfishers.com) as that is without question my favorite flyshop in Boze. As a disclaimer I get nothing out of this but I really like the people who work there and I know a few of the guides.

As for lodging, I dont really have any recommendations since I have never had to use a hotel here hehehehe. Gallatin River Lodge might be an option though I dont know a whole lot about them.

I would agree that June is not a good option unless fishing stillwaters or spring creeks in the Livingston area. Run-off varies from year to year depending on snowpack and temperatures in June. While the Lower Madison may be fishable in June, other rivers such as the Gallatin, Yellowstone, and Upper Madison may not be because of flows.

I personally spend from Memorial Day until snowfall in the fall in the summer fishing mostly alpine lakes (with the exception of the Gallatin in the Canyon). By checking at local flyshops (see Greater Yellowstone Flyfishers, though the Rivers Edge is also very good as well), you can get more accurate info on river fishing, especially regarding the salmonfly hatch.

If you have further questions, please feel free to PM and I will help you out the best I can.
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

I'd recommend that you take a float (or two or three or four) while you are out there. Fly in and out of Bozeman and spend a couple days fishing the Y. Stone, L. Madison, and Gallatin then go someplace else.... spend a few days in YNP or head over toward Missoula..Have a great trip. Cheers.

Hi Bob,

>>
    Right now I looking at using Bozeman as the central point for the trip.
    Would you recommend that we possibly hit one of the lodges/with guide service, stay in a local Bozeman Hotel and fish independently, stay local and go out with a guide ? <<

Don't mean to knock BozeAngelas (Oops! Just did! , but I don't think there's a lot of fishing opportunities close to Bozeman (that's why their guides drive all the way over here - Livingston, MT). There's the Gallatin (not one of my favorites), Lower Madison (from Ennis Lake) which is usually too warm during the summer, and the East Gallatin. Yellowstone Park fishing is a bit of a haul from there.

The Missouri (north of Helena) is a fantastic fishery but that's the only river to fish in that area (as far as I know). Dittoes for the Big Horn (hope you like crowds!).

-paul

Default Montana

Hi
    The Rivers Edge, 2012 N. 7th Ave., Bozeman, Mt. 59715, 1-406-586-5373.
    I think this is their web site.
    theriversedge.com
    This is the best shop in Bozeman.
    There are two more shops located in the 4 corners area about 5 miles from here.
    I mainly fish stillwater so I'm not much help on the rivers.
    Travel time here is a lot faster than most areas. You can generally average over 60 mph.

I'd personally suggest the Cody area. Great access to a number of rivers, small streams, and even a few small stillwaters. The Cody area also offers some nice "Western" flair that you don't really see in some of the other towns. Cody also offers easy access to Yellowstone. All in all, some of the other areas will put you on the crowded and famous waters. Cody will offer much better diversity.

+ Reply to Thread