+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinking line recommendation

Default Sinking line recommendation

I'm thinking choosing a brand of sinking line is not as critical as choosing a particular floating line.

Do you agree and if not which brand would you choose? Is there a company out there that tends to put out better ones?

Default Sink Line

Duckster,
    I have the exact same thoughts and have asked with no good answers. I have heard what ever you do don't go cheap on a flyline. But....I don't see how a sinking line can matter that much. Global Dorber has the Aquanova lines at $14.50 each. Wonder how good they are? Guess I will have to just buy some to find out.

Gemrod

I bought two Aquoanova lines to try them out. One a WF5F and the other a WF8ST. I gave the WF5F away to a newbie fly fishing friend of mine and it is working great for him. I kept the ST and use it on an Albright rod for light salmon duty. It appears to cast and works just fine. I have several Cortland 444 lines and they are my goto for floating lines. I have several SA line sin full sink and sink tip and IMO shot better than the Global Dorber and have held up for some time now without fatigue. You get what you pay for. Take care of your lines by cleaning and story properly and they will give you years of service. An expensive line abused will be worth little next year or there after.

RIGHT NOW, TONY P HAS SOME EXTREMELY GOOD AND SUPER PRICES LINES ON THE FAOL FOR SALE BOARD. Don't know Tony but he is offering a good deal IMO

Years ago I started using 333 sinking lines for no other reason other than they were cheap from H&H.
    I got a bunch of 'em
    I never had a problem.
    Never had a reason to try anything else
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Sinking lines

I use sinking lines a lot. I've had good success with Uniform Sink-type lines. Orvis is clearing out its Density Compensated Wonderlines right now.

I also have an Aquanova full sink line, which seems to work fine as well, and is a bargain. I don't do much casting with these full sink lines (I troll from a float tube), so I agree that the brand matters less than with floating lines.

I bought a sinking line for $10.00 3 years ago from wally world clean it every year and it still works just fine. Use it for all my still water fishing casting from a pontoon boat. IMHO I don't think it matters much with sinking line. Tony P does have some great prices on lines in the for sale section. I have done business with him and he is great to do business with. Lots of communication and good to his word.

I bought an 8wt Aquanova full siking line last June for a Steelhead float trip with a guide on the Sandy River in Oregon. It casted o.k., but would not sink fast enough in even moderate flows to get deep enough for Steelhead presentations. Otherwise it seemed perfectly acceptable.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

So if I go out tomorrow and buy one...forgetting cost...I can just go eny meny miny mo????

ducksterman,

Are you looking to get a Sinking Fly Line or a Sinking Tip Fly Line? In either case, checkout Scientific Anglers website. They have both a Fly Line Selector and PDF downloads of the various types that will help you decide. One of the most important feature to consider when selecting a sinking line is its sink rate. This allows you to get to a desired depth.

This year I used SA Uniform Sink + and have been very pleased with it. I believe it is the Type II sink rate.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

I have and use lots of sinking lines. I stick with SA simply because that was the only brand available to me at my local store. I have #5FS types 1 thru 6. If you are using the lines for timed sinks I think you should stick to the same brand. I got a different #5 full sink in type II and it sunk at a different rate than my SA type II did.

I cast toward shoals a lot and the around $50.00 Sa line casts well. The Cheap walmart stuff resembles a slinky in cooler waters.

For trolling I do use the cheaper $10.00 sinking line from wal mart to save my good ones for casting. The wal mart line doesn't have a sink rate on the box but At the lake I compared the sink rate with My SA lines and it sank at about a type II.
    I like to troll the same speed all the time, so I use different type sink rates to regulate how deep I am. But If you have only one sinking line you have to vary the speed to get the right depth.

If you cast one of the cheapter thicker lines all day, you will realize the value of a better brand.IMO
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread