Back in the days before I had a permanent setup I made a portable tying bench. It was roughly the size of a large attache case. Wish I had a picture of it as it's a little hard to explain. I made it so that the top opened up and folded back. A large plastic utility box was screwed to the inside of the top; the box would be facing up when the top was folded back. I put all my tools inside this box. I put 1/4 inch dowels standing up every couple of inches along both inside edges of the work surface. I put all my thread and floss spools on these dowels. When the case was closed, all the spools would be "trapped" on the dowels. In the center of the work surface, I made a sort of permanent pedestal for my vise out of wood. It had a hinge that allowed the vise to be folded down so that it could be kept inside when I closed it all up. Everything except my fly tying materials was kept inside this portable bench. I could set it up anywhere. Typically I would put it on a TV snack table and set it up in my living room so I could tue while watching TV.