+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new fly vest

Default Looking for a new fly vest

Hi all. Since FAOL is way better than consumer reports for fishing gear, I need a poll. I'm having to buy a new fishing vest, but I'm kinda torn as to which to buy. I've only had what I would consider a regular vest. Never had a shorty, or a hip pack or chest pack. I'd like to hear what you guys have and what you like best.... and why . Thanks all for helping!

Harebear
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

3. Default

I'm kind of partial to the Simms Freestone Vest.

Harebear,
    I've fished with vests, chestpacks and lanyards. For what it's worth, my favorite is the lanyard.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... art71.html
    They are lighter and don't encumber any movement. If you like to fasten your net to the loop on your vest with a magnet, you can do the same thing with your wader belt and it will be a shorter reach to the fish. If it's cold you can wear a coat, and if it's warm you don't have to worry about overheating with a vest. As far as chestpacks go, I have trouble enough seeing where I'm wading.
    Just my preference.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default vest

Harebear, I also have gotten rid of my vest. I bought the Filson strap vest. Ive also cut down on a lot of the stuff I used to think was so critical. Works for me

My 0.02$ (and Hey!, ... 0.02$ Cdn is starting be worth something) ...

My preference for the type of fishing I do is a lightly loaded vest.

I have the usualy "dangles" (nippers, floatant, forceps, whistle), 3-4 fly boxes, bug dope, leaders and leader material, first aid kit (mini), light, smokes, fire, fire starter, survival kit.

That way, my vest isn't too heavy and the lunch, coffee, kitchen sink etc, go in kit bags on the beach or in the canoe.

I don't like "leaving home without it", ... so I don't.

Good luck.
    Christopher Chin

I have a Simms Freestone vest that my son bought for me a few years ago and am happy with it.T he only dislike I have with it is it gets a little warm in the middle of summer.

I have a Simms freestone vest as well. Like it a lot. But I think Simms may have stopped making it? I got mine on a close out about a year ago.

Greg

I use a fishpond lumbar pack and like it way more than any vest i've used. Holds water bottles too!

I use a Richardson Box for the flies and a waist belt pack for the rest. I never wade deep and I am EXTREMELY organized so I have the minimalist thing down to a science. I haven't worn a vest in a million years because I tended to carry enough stuff to supply a Boy Scout troop and the weight got to me after a long day.

One day I laid all the stuff in my vest out, picked out what I used the most and what was necessary for a day on the stream and then found something that would accomodate the smaller stash. The extra stuff that I carried for years and hardly ever used now is stored in a bag that lives in the trunk, JUST IN CASE.

Issues that will determine what you ultimately choose will be:
    • *How deep do you wade?
      *How much stuff do you carry?
    There a tons of options out there but as silly and as complicated as this sounds; I heartily recommend taking either your present LOADED vest or the junk you have in it to the store when choosing. I always did back in my vest days.

There is nothing worse then buying a new bag/pouch/vest and finding out stuff doesn't fit or isn't organized the way you want it.

Have fun choosing!

+ Reply to Thread