I find that I am on one extreme or the other.

For quick trips, fishing near my car, or going ultralight on backpacking trips, I don't take a vest at all, and just rely on a fishing shirt with lots of pockets, along with the pockets in my waders.

However, if I'm going fishing for most of the day, or if I'm heading into the high country, or hiking in to where I plan to fish, I tend to take quite a bit of stuff in addition to the normal fishing gear (Lunch, water bladder, raincoat, headlamp, etc.)

For these trips, the best carry solution I've found is the Rapid River Vest by LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... =9963-sub2

I've tried several different vests and packs, and the Bean is now my go-to pack for long fishing days.

Here's why I like it: It has a comfortable waist belt. This takes the weight off of my shoulders, and also gives me some lower back support. Unlike other vests and chest packs I've used, it doesn't slide down your back causing the front to ride up when loaded. (Try putting a water bladder in most other vests or chest packs. The weight of the water will cause the pack/vest to become unbalanced front to back and the vest will sag in the back and ride up in the front.)

This pack carries a water bladder, and there's room for lunch, raincoat, and other stuff. The pockets are easy to access, and their high, vertical orientation keeps them out of the way of my casts. The nipper and hemostat zingers are easily accessed, and there are little tube holsters that hold these tools in place and prevent them from flopping around. There are enough pockets to keep all my stuff organized and accessible.

At $99, it's very reasonably priced.