+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone Cast/Own a Scott G2 906/4?

Default Anyone Cast/Own a Scott G2 906/4?

I'm looking for a 6-weight rod to use for Western stillwater fishing (including sinking lines), as well as for larger trout in streams (using larger nymphs and dries). Would a 9' 6-weight Scott G2 work well for casting big flies and handle distance and wind and sinking lines? The G2 insterests me because I don't like fast, stiff rods. Thanks!

I think it would work very well. I prefer a Sage for the larger stuff, but I love my G2s in smaller sizes.

I have tried the Scott in heavier weights and they felt pretty darned good. The Sage just felt a little better.

Distance, big flies, strong winds, sinking lines,, and you don't like stiff rods. hmmm

I like the Scott G2 for exactly the reason Mr. Castwell hints at. Most softer action rods lack the power to deal with the wind. I like slower rods for bigger, heavier, and/or air resistant flies because it lets you open up the cast a little easier and spare the back of your head, especially in the wind, but they do ask for a little more from the caster. Power for distance is often lost in those rods. The G2 (as well as the E2) seem to have plenty of power to handle such situations though. I don't have much experience with Scott rods with sinking lines, but I don't see why it shouldn't handle them just fine.

That's my two cents anyway.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I keep hearing from the guys who have slower rods (often less expensive too) and how much better they are for long casts and heavy wind. There is something there I need to learn.

I think it's just a matter of personal casting style, taste, situation, etc. It's not always about cost. Some guys like bamboo, My dad fishes almost exclusively fiberglass rods. Me, I like slower action graphite and have learned how to make them do what I need them to do. For a lot of people, the stiffer and/or faster rods are the answer. Some of my rods are inexpensive, some are pretty spendy, it's about having the tool for the job that lets you enjoy the experience. The reason there are so many kinds of rods out there is that there are so many different fisherman with so many different preferences, each as valid as the last as long as the fly gets in the fishes mouth. For me, the diversity is a lot of the fun.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I agree, right tool for the job. I just have to learn how to get power out of a slow rod.

+ Reply to Thread