Hello Everyone!

I was on the Muskegon River in SW Michigan yesterday doing a days worth of fishing. It was the first time ever for me on this river. My focus was to try out the new Sage Z-axis 6 wt on trout, and maybe if I got lucky a steelhead, but for this post I'd like to focus on the situation I came upon.

I was surprised that there were still post spawn salmon on beds going through the motions.
I came upon one bed with salmon and what looked like various sizes of trout tailing directly behind (5-10 ft). I would assume that the trout were feeding on eggs. At this point in time the salmon where probably "spent". I tried yarn eggs, nymphs, and even midge pupae. I even managed to snag a jack that broke off my tippet, but after an hour or so no trout came to the calling.

If anyone has been in a situation such as this, how did you go about it? What type of setup did you use as far as line, leader, tippet, and fly?

Also, do you guys and gals who fish salmon rivers find it difficult to fish for trout in general?