+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fisherman article on the Klinkhamer Fly

Default Fly Fisherman article on the Klinkhamer Fly

Since we have been getting pounded with emails from fly tiers who read the recent article in Fly Fisherman regarding the Klinkhamer fly I figured I post some info here in hopes of clearing up an error in the article.

One of the hooks listed in the article is the Partridge GRS15ST which is the original Klinkhamer hook that Partridge designed with the assistance of Hans van Klinken himself. Hans is of course the brains behind the very effective Klinkhamer fly patterns. Well the GRS15ST has been discontinued now for around 3 or so and while there may be some still hanging in retail shops it will not be an easy hook to find. Don't fret however as the hook still lives on and is as good as ever but now has a new model number. The Partridge 15BN is the new, correct number for the Klinkhamer hook. The shape of the 15BN is the same as that of the old GRS15ST. The finish on the hook has however changed. The GRS15ST had a Grey Shadow finish which was slippery as all get out which made tying a fly on it a bit of a challenge. So the hook was relaunched under the Partridge Flashpoint range and now has a fantastic Black Nickel (BLN) finish. We have found that the BLN finish helps camouflage the hook as it mirrors the color of its surroundings.

Adding to the 15BN, we have recently launched the Partridge 15BNX, the Klinkhamer Extreme. This hook also has the BLN finish and offers a more extreme bend to better orient the fly on the surface.

You can see both hooks here

Hope this helps answer some of the questions floating around out there

Dr. Fish,

Very good and timely info. A couple of question, if I may.
    I've been using the 37160 for my Klinkhamers for years as it gives me the penetration I like for the fly. The kirbed (is that right?, off set)point also helps with hook ups, a very high take to hook ratio.
    The one negative has been the heavy gauge wire.
    That said my questions are; are the 15BN's a lighter gauge wire than the 37160?
    Is the point off set as in the 37160?
    Does the size tend towards the norm or do they run like the 37160's where the 18 is more like a traditional 14?
    Who in the Portland, OR. area stocks them?
    I have tried three different shops and even had one ( a big name shop from the NW) order them in 14-16-18& 20's several months ago. The 14 & 16's came in, although I still haven't seem them, and the 18's and 20's never arrived. They advise they don't know why.
    The addition of the 15BNX is a good one in my opinion and is the hook I would be most interested in.

Thanks for your time.

Peter

Hello Peter

Glad to provide the information

Here is a comparison between the Mustad 37160 in sizes 18 and 20 and the Partridge 15BN in size 18 and the 15BNX in size 20. Yes, the Partridge sizing system is off as it has been from the beginning. So you just have to get used to hooks that are oversized by a couple sizes.

You'll see that the gap on the 15BN and 15BNX are fantastic and much wider than the 37160. THe wire diameter on the Partridge Klinkhamer hooks is also much finer than the 37160. Please keep in mind that I don't have my high quality calipers here so I'm suing some that are not as fine but here are some approximate wire diameters on the hooks . . .

37160 wire
    #18 is .020"
    #20 is .0185"

15BN #18 is .013"
    15BNX #20 is .010"

The points on the Partridge Klinkhamer hooks are NOT offset but since the gap is signifigantly wider, the hook up rate should be quite good.

Demand for the 15BN and 15BNX has been very high so we have struggled to keep them in stock. Currently we have the following in stock that a shop can get via their supplier
    15BN - sizes 8, 10, 12 & 18
    15BNX - sizes 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
    We do have more hooks coming as well .

Dr. Fish,
    Thanks for the response.
    From what you've said the hook seems to be the perfect hook for the job, the 15 BNX that is.
    A problem though, I can't fine them anywhere in the US.
    Can you point me in a direction? If not local to Portland, OR a web supplier will do. My searches have turned up nothing.

Thanks,
    Peter

Angler's Workshop can get them for you. Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies in Toldeo, OH also would be a good source. Bob Marriott's is another one to consider.

Thanks. A/W it is.

Peter

Jeff,

It is good of you to post the clarification on the hooks here. I have had many customers emailing me (as i imagine most shops did) requesting the GR15ST hooks. It took a lot of convincing for some people to realize that the 15BN hook is the same exact hook but with the different finish.

I have talked to Steve Tagami (another Mustad Sales Manager) a couple of times and he has been quite helpfull in explaining the stock problems to me. I hope you guys can soon get the supply issues worked out on the 15BN as they are fantastic sellers.

+ Reply to Thread