Migs:

Well I am very young, just 25, and have travelled Colombia south to north east to west and have had some "encounters" with the guerrillas as well as with the paramilitary and never had a trouble, however in my 10+ years of solo travelling I have met them 3 or 4 times. Plus, great fly fishing places are not to far from Bogota so there is no security issues at all.

There are some waters that are near places that have had issues in the past but to tell you the truth I've never heard stories of any fishermen having any troubles. As well as some places that are in the middle of problematic areas where the guerrilla has control and ironically the best controls are performed by them in those places hence the best fishing is located in those places. (no dynamite fishing, no overfishing, etc.) However, it is not dangerous to visit them.

Unless you expect to fish amazonic species everything is OK. Besides it is easier to reach the amazon from La Paz than from Bogota. We still have some great warm water fishing in the llanos, 90 minutes east from Bogota, but I don't practice it, I'm into trout only.

To make the long story short, don't believe every thing CNN shows (I worked as a journalist for a newspaper and a news gency and have a pretty clear image of how they work) or the tales of people who has never left the "security" of the city. The best of Colombia is out of it's cities and it's perfectly safe to visit it.

I'll email you this same post for you to have my email but you can click on the little face icon on top of this post and find it out yourself. Just let me know when you're here and we can work something out.

best regards

Dave

To every one out there:

1- Any info on fly fishing in Ecuador?
2- I am working on putting together an article on some of Colombia's fly fishing places, I will appreciate your feedback on the interest people may have on it.