+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bobbers and beadheads

Jim Slattery Guest

Default bobbers and beadheads

O.K. so now I have come to realize that I might be a fly fishing snob. Foam flies with beadhead flies as droppers,quite a killing machine. I refuse to do it. Call me old fashioned, call me a purist, call me a snob.Maybe I just don't want to know how many fish I've been missing, but it's kinda like peeking at presents before Christmas, all the mystery is gone. It dosen't seem a sporting way to catch trout, kinda like fishing for bluegills with a bobber with your kid, it's great for the kid and fun to watch the expression on the child's face, but for a grown man ,well you get the idea. Not that I'm advocating the banning of the practice, everyone has the right to fish as they see fit. To wet fly fisherman like myself, banning fishing techniques leaves a bad taste in my mouth, Halford and all. I guess though , I've become a snob, I don't see the sport in it.
    Take care , Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:68f68]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:68f68]

Hey Jim,

I'm in no way offended by your statements and personal preferences in fly
    fishing. Many of us approach fly fishing
    in different ways. Some like the historical
    or sporting aspects and consider it a
    gentlemans (or gentle ladies) sport. Others
    see the effectivness of flyfishing over
    other means of catching fish. Some are
    strictly wet or dry and some mostly go with
    the foamies. The bottom line though is that
    we have all found a niche in the sport that
    works for us. In my opinion, it's all good.
    My personal preference is to simplify
    flyfishing to it's lowest common denominator
    and approach it from a minamalist stand point. But if you want to take 20 pounds of
    related gear and flies in your vest, good
    on ya. Just ain't me.*G* Warm regards, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 11 February 2005).]

Jim,
    Ditto what Hatch said...
    R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:5299a]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:5299a]

JC,
    I really liked your reply to this post. I fish mostly with wet flies but I would never tell a dry fly fisherman about it. I used to dream about casting my Dave's Hopper over 20 inch brown trout but I got greedy and decided that I wanted to catch more fish and lo and behold soft hackle flies became a part of my inventory. What is confusing is that these flies are such a simple tie but they catch fish. Catching fish on the surface is great but there is a lot going on under the surface.
    Doug WL OR
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Jim

"Whatever trips your trigger" as the old saying goes. Fishing has to be to each person in order for that person to feel like they are fishing. I detect no slightest hint of true snobbery (looking down one's nose at others' practices) so I am sorry but you really are not a snob at all, just someone who knows the definition of the game that gives them the biggest bang for their buck.

Now that Castwell fella.... <chuckle>

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:87de0]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:87de0]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Why is it that in fly fishing it is always the same "fight" between dry fly fisherpersons and wet fly fisherpersons? Why can't we all just fish the way we want to and enjoy it and leave the other person alone? I fished bass tournaments for 30+ years before turning to fly fishing and never heard this bickering going on between the spinnerbait fishermen and the crankbaiter or the plastic worm fishermen and the surface bait fishermen. We all fished our way that worked for us and left the other person alone. Maybe you all are just "picking" on each other in fun and I am taking it wrong. I fish with a wet fly or a nymph and that's the way I enjoy my fishing. I really fish for the peace and quiet of the river and have tried the dry and do not enjoy it as much as nymphing. Let's just all enjoy our way for as long as we can because the way the human race is treating the environment our streams will not be with us for long and all of this peace and quiet and fun will be gone. Just my opinions.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Shouldn't this be on the sound off board? I mean, you just called all of us who fish with indicators and beadheads unsporting and childish. If I was easily offended, I might be upset with this post. Good thing I am not easily offended.

Pat yourself on the head, because you are a better man than I.

Dennis

Blog Entries

Myself, mostly! LOL Notice the wink.

But still...

I took the brother of my daughters friend out fishing yesterday . She is an exchange student from Japan,and her brother was visiting her. He had never flyfished before and I had to show him how to cast a fly using pantomime!! We caught a couple and at the end of the day he brought out his translator after I had said we could go fishing on monday- and he wrote-"On monday can we use WORMS. aaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!
    B.C.Nick

Nicholas,
    I loved your story!
    Why does everyone pick on WORMS? When I was a kid, my Dad would water the lawn during the day and at night we would be out there with our flashlights picking up worms for our fishing trip the next day. Those worms sacrificed their slimy little lives for every fish we caught. What is worse is that the poor things probably drowned before they were eaten!
    Doug WL OR
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread