+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotary Techniques

Default Rotary Techniques

Other than the video that I keep seeing when I google "rotary techniques" is there somewhere I can go to learn more about tying with a rotary vise? The video looks great, but I want to get started this evening. I just purchased a Renzetti Traveler and I am anxious to take it for a whirl (or twirl depending on if I can find some info). thanks all.

Normand Guest

Try here

http://rotaryflytying.com/

You should also GOOGLE for "rotary fly tying techniques"

Default Rotary tying

Sponsor of FAOL BT's Fly Fishing....Al Beatty has a video on rotary tying. You can order it.

Gemrod

One of the best things I like about a rotary vise, is you can rotate the fly to work on the fly. When trimming hair wings, I can rotate the fly to assure that the wing is correctly positioned, lot easier than looking at my work from the side.

Easier to properly place cheeks if the side of the fly is positioned on top, so the material does not slip, when securing material to the hook. Also reversing the fly to attach material to the other side of the fly.

Lot easier to dress a fly hook, when you can see directly, what you are trying to do.

Thank you all for the tips. I put together my new vise as soon as I got home and, WOW, what a big difference. It took a little while to figure out how to advance the thread down the hook using the rotary, but I finally got it going. The nice thing is that I can spin the fly around and make sure that it is proportionate all the way around.

I started off with some zebra midges and quickly realized that, because of the shape of the hook, you can't put it on center line, so I will just wrap those by hand (unless someone has a hint on those types of scud hooks). All in all it was a great weekend at the bench.

I took the rotary plunge a few years ago and I use the feature all the time especially for ribbing, winding floss and chenille and winding hackle, especially Palmer hackle. I don't use the rotary feature for dubbed bodies. I still find wrapping the conventional way to be best for me.

Making Woolly Buggers on a rotary is a breeze! You don't have to try and guesstimate how much chenille to cut off the skein, just wind up what you need right off the card.

I always say, with the money you save by not wasting chenille, in 267 years you will have paid for that rotary vise.

Have fun, you'll love it!

http://www.btsflyfishing.com/

Go here and order the video tape or DVD about rotary tying. It'll explain and demonstrate MANY techniques you'd not come up with in a hundred years. It's great! It's made my tying FAR better than before I saw the tape.
    Treat yourself to the best!
    Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

When I saw Al and Gretchen tie with their rotary Danvise in person at the fish-in in Idaho, my jaw dropped...so many cool techniques I never would have thought of on my own. If you can't catch them in person at a demonstration, try their video, at
    http://www.btsflyfishing.com/
    I now use my right hand in the 'materials clamp/bobbin holder' position for every fly I tie -- you end up with not a single hackle barb caught in the thread when you tie off the hackle!
    Oh, and i take that back -- order their video even if you can catch them in person! I forgot half of what they taught us, and the video means you have a permanent reference.
    DAN

Gonna have to get that video after you last post. I really do enjoy the rotary although I am still learning to use it effectively. There are some interesting posts concerning time saving techniques to use when using a rotary that I would like to look into. I am, by no means, a production type tyer and I am anything but fast, but it would be nice to know.

+ Reply to Thread