How does one properly start a thread on the hook?

A lot of the times when I am partially through with a fly I am tieing, as I am pulling the thread tightly around the shank the whole get-up spins around the shank and I have to move it all back into place, or sometimes I must start all over again. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I am not starting my thread properly. As I have never seen any detailed instructions on how one properly does this I assume maybe I am doing something wrong. Does one drop a bit of head cement or super glue onto the first few spins?

I think I am doing this...

First, you need to know how to start the thread on the hook. This is done by holding the end of the thread in one hand and the bobbin in the other. Start winding the thread over itself as you wind it around the hook.

About three or four wraps should be sufficient. Be sure to keep the thread length short as it leaves the bobbin. You must use a bobbin to hold the thread if you want to have any realistic chance at tying quality flies.

From Al Campbell's "Beginning Fly tying - Part 5"
Is this a common problem? Am I missing something key? Am I just not being tight enough for my first couple loops?

Thanks in advance for help,

Jonathan