+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All right, now that I have the feathers, what?

Default All right, now that I have the feathers, what?

I am looking for some materials for tying and am considering raising some animals but just checking for chicken I came across a recently killed turkey and asked for the feathers. They were taken off the skin using hot water, though they spent some time in the sun they're still a little wet, I dried them but are now somehow smelly. Any one, what do I do now? I've read some about borax, but can't find anything on procedures.

Any info highly appreciated.

Dave

You said the feathers are off the skin so all you have to do is dry and store. The Borax is only used to dry the skin with feathers attached---

------------------

Bill

Thx Bill.

Will let them dry a few more days in between newspapers and won't be using any borax. By the way, is there any other way for taking the feathers off the skin other than using hot water?

thx again

Dave

4. Default

Put the feathers in a pillow-case, and dry in the tumble-dryer, on cool for ten or twenty minutes. Saves a lot of time and hassle! (Just don't tell the wife!!!)

The feathers can be plucked from any bird once it has cooled sufficiently.. if you don't want the meat, just skin the bird and keep the feathers on the skin! That's when borax comes in handy! Just pin the skin, feather down, on a piece of plywood... , scrape off any excess fat,sprinkle on some borax, scrape off 24 hours later, then repeat as necessary until skin feels like cardboard, store in a polygrip bag with blotting paper on the skin side!
    Hope this helps??

Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

Borax is also said to keep bugs away and it may help with the smell. You should lightly dust your materials with borax.

Hi

I have dusted the feathers already with borax and baking soda, also have placed them again in between newspaper to dry any residual humidity. I hope this will help taking out the smell but still I am a little worried that the mix of chemicals will somehow "burn" the fibers of the feathers.

Thanks again to you all.

D.

+ Reply to Thread