+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don?t String me Along!

Default Don?t String me Along!

Don?t String me Along!

Pun intended. Newbie here with first of a life long series of fly tying questions. Step wise, here?s the deal. Got me a Danvise. Did not want to go wild so bought some Gurgler Kits by Lee Haskin, thinking they had EVERYTHING to tie a fly, which for the most part, they do. However, they DO NOT HAVE thread.

The instructions say I need Red and White 3/0 Uni-Big Fly.

Questions:
    What is that?
    Where do I get it?
    How much should I get?
    Should I get other colors at same time?
    Should I get different kinds?
    This pattern is for 1 to 2/0 size, but they reduced it for me to size 6, is the 3/0 too big for size 6? And if it is too big, what size do I need?

Thank You for your help!

Uni is a good thread, but not the only brand out there. Different brands (and different styles of a brand) have different characteristics. Uni thread is bonded, meaning the fibers are lightly bonded together, giving the thread a round shape. This is a strong thread that I like for cinching down deerhair and foam. The Flymaster threads, on the otherhand, are a flat nylon. The fibers are not bonded together and can be separated. This can make it easier to break the thread if the individual fibers catch on something and break, but you can also produce a smoother body or head with it. Try a couple different kinds and see what you like. For me, it depends on what I am doing with it.

3/0 is the size of the thread. It's probably good for the larger 1 to 2/0 sizes, but for the size 6 flies, I would use a 6/0 thread. The larger thread is stronger, but also bulks up a lot faster.

You can find spools of thread at a fly shop, some big box sporting good stores carry it, basically anywhere that carries other flytying materials will carry thread. Or go online.

Thread usually comes on spools of 50, 100, or 200 yards. The 100 and 200 sizes will last plenty long, a single spool of each color/size that you decide to buy will be sufficient.

As for color, if you want to match the specific pattern, then get the colors mentioned. For me, and I think a lot of tiers, the most common colors used are black, olive, and something of a light brown. If you want to be versatile, I personally would start there.

Hopefully that gets you started.

Mark,

You can buy fly tying thread at any fly shop or large sporting goods dealer that has a fly tying section. Uni thread 3/0 'big fly' is a twisted nylon thread intneded for large flies where more tension is needed (it's 'thicker', thus 'stronger').

For the smaller gurglers and gurgler pops you'll likely want thinner thread than 3/0. 6/0 is a good all around thread size. Uni thread is available in many sizes.

For Gurglers and stuff I tend to use monofilament sewing thread that's available at craft/sewing shops, even Wally world. It looks like thin fishing line, comes on thread spools, and is inexpensive. It comes in two diameters, .004 and .005, and two 'colors', clear and 'dark' (smoke).

If you are just starting out, and don't have a fly shop handy, some of the big mail order houses like Cabelas sell thread in 'kit's or 'assortments', usually one size in several of the most popular colors. A 6/0 assortment would be a good starting point.

In a pinch (you don't have a fly shop near you and don't want to wait to tie until you get somethig from a mail order catalog), you can hit a sewing store and look at the NYLON threads they have. Stay away from the cotton/rayon/polyester threads, as they tend to fray. Buy the thinnest nylon thread, and it should work fine for your gurglers. They will have hundreds of colors, pick the one you like or feel you need (thread color on such a fly won't mater to the fish-generally we select thread that 'matches' the bulk of the fly because it looks nice).

Generally, fly tying thread comes with a bit of wax on it, which makes it easier to handle and helps with other areas like dubing and such. Sewing threads won't have this. Also, fly tying threads come thinner, which is desirable on smaller flies. For these reasons, you really want to get fly tying thread if you can.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Mark;
    Hook & Hackle, a sponsor here, has a good selection of Uni Threads. Check out their online store.
    You may find some other things you'll need too.

I tend to stick with 6/0 thread (Flymaster - just because that is what I usually end up with in my hand). It is a good thread for most everything I tie (I usually tie small with size 14 being the biggest) so it is a good size. As for color, I agree that I use far more black, olive and brown. But, that being said, I also use a good deal of white, orange, red. It really just depends on what you are tying. But, rest assured, you will be buying more colors... I have more thread than my wife (and she sews,hahaha). Good luck to you. Post on how you like the Danvise, I am thinking about getting one as well.

Thanks guys! Got on Cabela's site and got there assortment on sale and bought two spools of Uni 6/0 in red and black. That oughta keep a newbie in thread for awhile.

As long as you're not tying commercially, that should do you for quite some time.

MarkF
    I have one piece of advice that was past to me by a couple of master tyer, which is learn thread control. This means you want to Tye with the tension of most threads right below their breaking point, as stated to me if you don't break your thread once in a while you not tying with enough attention. When you get more into trying get threads from 3/0, 6/0 , 8/0 and 10/0, then have fun.
    Ghost

my favorite thread is sheer 14/0 no bulky heads on small flies

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.html:5a805]Tying Tip article on "Thread"[/url:5a805]

I wrote this article, so fly dressers, can better understand what they are using to dress fly hooks. The two basic components of all fly patterns are the hook and thread, chosen to tie a pattern.

Uni thread is are mostly polyester, and does not stretch. Danville thread are mostly Nylon and do stretch.

Then there are the type of construction of the thread, different threads by the maker, can have different construction, that can make a difference in dressing the hook.

+ Reply to Thread