This thread is a hoot. I am actually very surprised. I guess I am going to stand out. Almost all of my rods are top end rods, and I generally pay the piper to buy local so it has been at list prices.

I just got back from three weeks in Chile fishing, and I was doing the math of what I was carrying in my carry-on:

Sage TXL 4wt
Gloomis GLX Crosscrurrent Highlinespeed 5wt 9'0"
Sage XP 6wt 9'6"
Sage XP 7wt 9'0"
Winston Boron IIx 8wt 9'0"
Six Ross Rythem reels and four extra spools so have two sinking line and one floating for each rod

I only regret taking the Winston, too soft for the wind and big streamers. Only fished it an hour or two.

Also in the larder at home:

Sage RPL+ 7wt (bought on ebay for $150)
Sage XP 9wt 10' (my steelhead baby)
Sage TXL 00wt
Bamboo 3wt
Teeny TFO 10wt (only sub $500 rod I bought new)

==================

Now why:

I have found that to get that last 10% of performance, you likely are going to pay 200% more. For example, the Sage VPS is a nice rod, but go fish it (not just talking casting the parking lot) and fish an XP, and I find there is a difference. It is not huge but it is there. I view my gear as an investment, and it is my passion and I have the means so why not. I live in the land of BIG fish, and I can tell you with a trophy (30"+) rainbow on the line, you don't want to be short changed by low end gear.

More power to you all, I have only respect for those who go out and fish, regardless of what the equipment costs. But for me, who goes so far off the grid, and maybe a flight in my plane might cost $500 or much more in gas only, paying to have gear that is reliable, holds up, and gives me the most advantage for having that great day makes it worth it.

Tight lines.

BTW Chile (the Carretel Austral Region in Northern Pantagonia between Cochrane and La Junta) was absolutely fantastic, fished everyday October 25 to November 14. Sorting photos now, will post something later about the trip. It was just me, a 4X4 truck, new water each day, and fish as much daylight to daylight I could (travel in dark) so many 12 to 14 hour days on the water. Several 100 fish+ days, and some days I worked all day to catch a couple of very spooky and elusive big brown trout. You gotta go if you get a chance, more of the last frontier for trout fishing than Alaska by a long run.

Hasta la Vista