Just some more food for the fodder:

Whatever price of rod you are considering, warranty is a big element. Having had broke two high end Sages, and one Gloomis (broke one on a bear encounter, broke one on stupid me loading in airplane, and broke one on a monster pike), I see part of that price is getting a new rod, or a perfectly matched replacement section for just basically the cost of shipping. When I sent my 7wt XP in this August, my local fly shop had four others going to Sage, so breakage is a reality. Car and plane doors account for most. So how do you think that the price of recovery is accounted for --- it is in your purchase price. So when I shell out $600 for a Sage or GLoomis, I know it is a "rod for life" meaning even if it is me doing a bonehead thing, I will always have that rod repaired. I think that value is huge. Some companies that make lower cost rods like TFO and St. Croix have these same policies, I don't know how they can with the rods being under $200 but that is a great deal.

And by the way, a high end rod will let your casting "grow into it". Even if you consider yourself not a good caster, you can be better with a consistent and high end rod. But it is the fishing not the casting that I like. The ability to land fish and not break off, has alot to do with the rod action, especially on big fish IMHO. As long as the knots are good on your leader, these nice rods really play big fish better, I and can notice that.

Great subject!

Peace