+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: beads and more beads

Default beads and more beads

After returning from a fishing trip to the Lower Mountain Fork and nearly getting skunked I decided I needed to beef up my midge selection (a nice guy gave me a size 22 mercury midge that did the trick). I had previously relied heavily on zebra midges with tungsten bead heads. HOwever, those were too big (even the size 1. So, enter the mercury midge.

I went to our local fly shop and bought some clear glass beads for the head. Then I decided to buy more beads for flies (love that look). My question now that I have tied the mercury midges, what other patterns can be tied with glass beads (for freshwater). I will look forward to your replies. Thanks.

I post this fly with tongue firmly planted in cheek, as I created this fly for a swap to use up excess glass beads and black materials. As with most flies, I believe this will catch some sort of fish somewhere.

Click on this link for a glass bead stonefly tied by a member on FAOL. It's really a good looking fly.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/v...ic.php?t=13509

Be creative!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Normand Guest

Normand
    check out Warrens book on tying with glass beads. Your only limited by what you can imagen.
    Ghost.

MM,

Just spent last night tying a bunch of those little #22 and #24 Mercury Midges for the San Juan next season.

Using the bead/thread/rib pattern of this fly, there are several combinations that work very well. Black/tan/brown (or dark copper). Green/tan/green. All green. Red/black/gold. Clear/white/black. Red/red/black. All are combinations that have taken fish for me in the past.

Heck, I think just about ANY combination would work in the right situation.

Glass beads are an interesting addition to flies. They 'refract' light as well as 'reflect' it, provide weight (but not as much as similar sized metal beads), and mimic that 'see through' appearence that's common on many very small insects.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I've had real good luck with a glass bead caddis that uses 3 green beads for the body and an amber bead for the head. I tie some mohair between the first and second bead and some thread at the back end to keep the beads in place. It works great on pickerel.

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

This is one of my favourites -

If you want to see some more -

http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/page12.html
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

do you just glue beads on shank or lay some thread down first?

Alfred, what it says on the book tying with beads is that you just thread the beads on the hook and then secure beads with thread, on the back of the hook, and then with ribbeng material or just with thread making tight wraps and pushing beads back, hope I made it clear if not I'll post some pics about it tomorow. I forgot, just add glue on the rear if the fly's abdomen is made with beads, as for the thread layer, is not really recomended because beads won't fit unless u are using XL beads.

CC

+ Reply to Thread