+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thread Dubbing Brushes

Default Thread Dubbing Brushes

I was playing around today with my Turbo Dubbing Twister and decided to try to make some dubbing brushes using thread instead of Ultra wire. I knew that the thread would want to untwist the minute I let off the tension, so I tried something different. I took the piece of thread that would lay on top of the dubbing and "painted" it with super glue. I have a super glue dispenser with a brush applicator, so I simply ran this up the length of the thread before I layed the thread on top of the dubbing material. It worked great! I twisted up the brush and put it on the "drying board". This is simply a piece of heavy card board with slits cut in one end to hold each dubbing brush and a piece of packing tape on the other end, sticky side up. After about two minutes, it was dry and it doesn't even try to untwist. This will work great for those time you don't want the extra weight of the wire dubbing brush. Just thought I'd share this tip. If anyone is interested in learning more about the Turbo Dubbing Twister, send me an email.

Jim Smith

Jamie:

Thank you for the update, I have been contemplating something similar, with thread without using adhesives such as "Super Glue". I am considering the use of "Cotton" Thread for the dubbing brush, and soaking the thread in a solution of clothing starch. This should also have the same results, without the chance of gluing the fingers together.

The board (with slits) was mentioned in "The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference Book, Amato Publication", as a requirement for dubbing brushes constructed with thread.

Currently I am using wire to master this technique, and will soon, be attempting dubbing brushes using saddle hackle and herls (peacock, ostrich, and emu).

I also have some fine fur capes, of scrap fur (mink, fox, lynx, bobcat) that I will be working with shortly, using the Turbo Dubbing Brush jig.

Steven....when you get that herl thing worked out please let us know.

Anyone else worked with the herl?

I tried chopping some peacock herl up but didn't like the effect....not an unexpected result.
    You know now that I think of it... I purchased some peacock brushes once ...I think form Feathercraft...they weren't bad....maybe I can find a piece around somewhere.

Default Soft Dub

Here's a link to a site that shows how to make thread dubbing brushes. http://shop.siman.cz/art_turbo_spinning ... oftdub.jpg
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Found the "Peacock Herl Brush" I purchased. It's a Hareline product and looks quite like a peacock herl and is almost indestructible.

I took an end apart [with difficulty] ...there are 3 twisted fine wires and there seems to be some sort of adhesive used. It also seems that the peacock barbules were removed from the quill.

Wish I knw how to do it?????

Grizzly Wulff:

Thank you for sharing the website, for the video, showing the dubbing brush operations. Seeing the operational steps, as a video is the best way of learning the procedure, to create your own Dubbing Brush's.

I am sure any fly that I use the Dubbing Brush, will last longer. Also I will have a better looking fly. But best of all, the procedure is so easy, to learn.

Sunday, November 5.

I have been making dubbing brushes, learning how to improve my consistency, in the final product. I noticed I was having more difficulty with light colored dubbing because of the light color of the wood in the slot.

So I ran a sheet of card stock paper through the printer, and now I have a template insert, that is black, that I can lay under the wire, to better see the light colored dubbing that I am placing in the slot on the dubbing board.

That is all it took to improve my dubbing brush skills, for light colored dubbing.

I am using UTC "Ultra Wire" small. Using colors: Green, Red, Black, Chartreuse, Gold, and Silver.

Playing around with some of Ronn Lucas Sr. Iridescent Dubbing (I really like the stuff)! It is too bad he is sold that business, since he went into making Classic Salmon Fly Hooks for Presentation Salmon Flies.

Steven...I see he is still listed under the sponsors and I bought some of that dubbing from him last winter....has it happened since then????

Hey Duck,

I bought a box of that dubbing from him recently as
    well. I'm loving it.*G* Warm regards, JIm

+ Reply to Thread