+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver, BC

Default Vancouver, BC

I am fortunate enough to have my company fly me to Vancouver in late April next year for a three day conference (and a 4 day vacation). Now, I'm an east coast / mid-atlantic flyfisher, and while I've fished a few western waters, I'd appreciate any "basic" advice on where, when, and what for the Vancouver area. I'm sure I'll rent a vehicle, so I'd be able to drive a couple of hours.

So, for anyone familiar with the area, what are some options, what rod should I take ("Gee, honey, the guys at FAOL said I absolutely needed to buy this new rod for our trip to BC!"), and any other general advice.

I'll begin researching this trip now that it's locked on, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks

Mike
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Hello Vulture, I don't know a thing about the fishing around Vancouver, but if I were going there and had 4 days to explore, I'd do all the Google reasearch I could on the Island fisheries and in particular the Campbell River, home water of R.L. Haig-Brown. Yep, that's what I'd do.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Any of the Fraser Valley lakes should be good at that time. Rainbow, Cutthroat, or Bass are your options. Beach fishing for Searun Cutthroat is another option. As for streams the Capilano, Seymour, Fraser, Stave, and Harrison are all within an hour, but may be in freshet at that time. As for a rod a medium action 6wt will cover it.

Thanks Newsman! That is what I was looking for -- a place to start my research and planning.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

I was lucky enough to spend some time in Vancouver this Summer. I almost did not bring my gear, but a neighbor convinced me that I should. I was glad I did. There are all sorts of opportunities to fish. My family and I drove up to Whistler just north of Vancouver. I scouted out places to fish. I found a little Fly Shop in the town of Squamish. They were nice, but never caught on to the fact that I was ready and willing to buy something, anything. The kid in the shop looked at my fly's and said that I really didn't need anything different... He told me a couple places to fish and that was about it.
    Up in Whistler though, I found the Whistler Fly shop, www.whistlerflyfishing.com
    They were awesome. They asked me what equipment I brought, 5 weight rod. Light for the fishing up there. Which means, you can go buy yourself a new rod. You need to check out the pictures on ther website. They fish for varous kinds of salmon. Big fish! They suggested a few places to find some trout. They were super helpful.
    I ended up the fishing the whole next day in Squamish. Caught one 16 inch rainbow, Had enough bites to keep me trying. Froze my feet off two or three times. I wet waded, (bring your waders.)I had never been up to the Pacific Northwest, and being from Atlanta, 96 degrees the day we flew out I figured I would be ok. All in all it was a lot of fun. Next time I would like to go after the big fish, not to mention the fact that I would get to go buy the right gear for the big fish.
    Here is another website that is helpful.
    http://southernbc.com/Squamish.BC.20.html

Good luck, buy more gear if you can get a way with it!

Starbuck
    Atlanta GA

The Vedder/Chilliwack River system is about an hour out of Vancouver, and is the most productive (and popular)winter steelhead river in the area. Late April is prime for flyfishing this system, and May 1, only the lower section of the river is open to fly fishing only.
    For more details on this contact Daryl Martens at [url=http://www.reactionbaits.com/contact.aspx:68100]Reaction Fly and Tackle[/url:68100]

The Whistler gig would be a good thing too. Contact Brian Niska at[url=http://www.whistlerflyfishing.com/contact.cfm:68100]Whistler Fly Fishing[/url:68100]

cheers

Don

Thanks Don - Based on the post above yours, I've already started swapping emails with Brian Niska. I'll follow up with the Daryl as well.

Looks like a new pack rod will be in order!

Bringing up an old topic, but...

The trip is on and I'm looking for at least one guided trip and maybe a couple of days kicking around on my own. Thinking about the Lilloet and the Cheakamus up near Whistler and the Chilliwack.

I'll have a 5 wt pack rod and an 8 wt pack rod.

Thanks to those who have offered advice above, and anyone willing to chime in, please do.

I'll post pictures in May.

Blog Entries

While the fishing at Campbel river can be spectacular it is a full days drive from the Vancouver area, plus a way too expensive ferry ride.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Re: Vancouver, BC

Dredging up an old topic, but I fly to Vancouver tomorrow evening, looking for an afternoon on the water Sunday and whenever I can swing it during the week. I also have guided trip lined up for Friday the 27th with the guys from Whistler Fly Fishing. Any further input would be greatly appreciated!

Hope to have plenty of pictures in a week and a half or so.

+ Reply to Thread