+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scott G vs. G2

Default Scott G vs. G2

I loaned a friend in Utah my Scott G 905/4 (9' 4-piece 5wt) rod a few months ago, and he promptly had it stolen from his truck. He's going to replace it, but Scott no longer offers the G-series rods, having replaced them with the G2 rods. I can still get a new old stock or used G rod, or I could get a new G2 (it would be a 905/4). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to cast the new G2, so I was hoping some of you here could give me your take on the difference between the two. In partictuar, what is different about the G2 than the original G-series (outside of cosmetics), and which, in your opinion, is the better rod.

Thanks!

Default G vs G2

First, the powerply rod was laid to rest by Scott but they introduced one heck of a replacement for the G. The G2 like the original G is a medium speed rod with the same slower tip speed that the original G series had. I have casted both rods and though the G2 may not be for everybody, whoa! I really enjoyed it.

I have two "G" rods... 8'4" 4 weight 5 piece (cork reel seat!) & 2 piece 8 1/2' 3 weight.... I like these rods. Smooth & power's there when you need it.
    Although I haven't cast them, I understand the G2's are a bit faster.
    I like old school.
    Later,
    Peter

I haven't casted the G2 either, but I admired one quite a while in the store the other day.

I think visually, it is up at the top of poles. The design on it is beautiful.

On the down side for your friend, I hope he has deep pockets.

+ Reply to Thread