+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on how to fish sinking line

Default Question on how to fish sinking line

I am a nymph fisherman and use Sage WF fly line in a light yellow color. I concentrate on watching the fly line so hard that I am not aware of anything going on around me. I do not like using an indicator and have been told that I am a very good nymph fisherman.

I experimented with some WF Sinking line over the weekend, for use on ponds and lakes, and would like to know how you detect "hits" on it. The line I am using is black in color and very hard to see. Would I be correct to assume that when fishing sinking fly line that you fish by "feel" instead of line watching? Thanks for your input on this.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you're talking stillwater, yes, you detect strikes mostly by "feel". If you're going to nymph with the line in moving water, you will probably want to use something like this: http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Fly-Lin ... ators.html

You can attach them at different points on the line. Since you wouldn't be able to use a traditional strike indicator setup as with a floating line, those would be your best bet with a sinking line in moving water.

Warren, fishing a nymph is just like back when you were a kid. Long cane pole, a line that went down and a big 'ol worm on 'er. When something pulled,,, pull back.

Thanks for the replies and help. I have the "feel" and "sight" down pretty good, so, with your advise, I will manage it from here.

Thank you
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren...are you fishing from a boat [tube...pontoon]...or shore?

If from a floating device...you should learn the various retrieves ...and as you retrieve have your rod pointed directly at the line ...even to the extent of having the tip under water....that's the way to feel the fish and set.....

ducksterman,

I will be doing some fishing from my Hobie Cat, some wading and some in fast water as well as deep slow moving pools. I am planning on "hunting" for the larger browns in my home river and I know they are going to be in the deeper pools this winter. I understand the style of fishing you recommeded and that is pretty much what I figured after experimenting last weekend. The only thing I will need to work on is fishing from "feel" only without the "sight". I never knew how much of a "line watcher" I was until last weekend!! I have often wondered if I set the hook because I saw the hit or I felt it. One of those, "which came first" things! Thanks for you help.
    Warren

Blog Entries

I have two sinking tip lines from Scientific American and they both have bright floating sections with only the sinking tip part being dark. Its much easier to see than a straight dark line. I concentrate on the where the visible bright yellow line starts . That way I don't need an indicator. Still and all most strikes are detected by feel. I use many different types of retrieve untill I find what the fish are interested in that particular day.
    Don't make the mistake of re-casting to soon as I find that often fish grab the fly as it approaches the boat or shore. I find most strikes are within 20 feet of me. With a sinking line I sometimes anchor and let the line sink straight down beneith the boat. I inch the fly toward the surface slowly, the strike when it comes is often near the surface. You have to be very quiet in the boat for this type of fishing.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    I have two sinking tip lines from Scientific American and they both have bright floating sections with only the sinking tip part being dark. Its much easier to see than a straight dark line. I concentrate on the where the visible bright yellow line starts . That way I don't need an indicator. Still and all most strikes are detected by feel. I use many different types of retrieve untill I find what the fish are interested in that particular day.
    Don't make the mistake of re-casting to soon as I find that often fish grab the fly as it approaches the boat or shore. I find most strikes are within 20 feet of me. With a sinking line I sometimes anchor and let the line sink straight down beneith the boat. I inch the fly toward the surface slowly, the strike when it comes is often near the surface. You have to be very quiet in the boat for this type of fishing.
    Do you think in that case that the fish are feeding high in the water column or that they followed the fly up?

If they are high then would an intermediate retrieved over a longer area be a good idea?

Blog Entries

ducksterman. I have watched them in crystal clear lakes follow the nymph all the way up. (20 feet or so) till at the last second they strike.I think the fact that they are about to lose a meal because the "bug" will emerge and fly away triggers it. But who knows? This is not an exact science or it wouldn't be such fun.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

lol

+ Reply to Thread