+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sink Tip vs Full Sink

Default Sink Tip vs Full Sink

When wanting to use a sinking line... when fishing stillwaters for trout...do you prefer a sink tip or a full sinking line?...and why.

Since in this situation....say from a pontoon or float tube you are likely retrieving almost all of the line in....pickup is not a problem IMHO...so the angles of the line...depth you can maintain for the fly....etc. .... become an issue....

What do you think matters?

you fishin leeches and streamers? id go with the full sink line. I fish warm water all the time and a sink tip doesnt cut it. you can let it sink as much as you want but as soon as you start stripping the fly is gonna come up to the surface because of the angle formed in your line. Youll never really get a straight retrieve or be able to keep it at the depth you want. Just my 2 cents.

full sink for the afore mentioned reason got to keep the fly where you want it and where the fish are

Duckster,

In your situation, a full sink would be what I'd use.

Since you will be fishing from a boat rather than the shore, getting down and staying down are important. The 'belly' of the line that everyone complains about would be a 'plus' in this situation, keeping the fly deeper longer on each cast. For this reason, you want a regular old sinking line, not one of the fancy new 'density compensated' lines (I really like these for shoreline lake fising, since the 'straight line' keeps me out of the rocks).

I'd also get the fastest sinking line I could throw. You can contol depth by countdown and retrieve rate, and the faster the line sinks the more casts you'll be able to make. This increases the amout of time the fly spends in the strike zone, and thus increases the number of fish you'll catch.

I catch way more trout on a sinking lie in stillwaters than I do with a floating line, simply because it gives you positive depth control. Seems like I always have at least one or two rods rigged with sinking lines in the boat, and they tend to be the ones that catch the majority of the bigger fish.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

When chronamids (sp) are rising to the surface I like a sink tip because when you bring it toward you the fly raises slowly up toward the surface just like the real emergers are doing. Also when casting to a shallower shoal I can more easily keep it off the bottom. In a bit deeper water I like a full sinking line. Sink rate depending on the depth of the water.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Because of the way a sink tip line goes out on the surface and then dives to the bottom, I have always felt that you are introducing automatic slack into your line and possibly not feel the take of a fish. If on the other hand you use a full sinking line you are always in direct contact with the fly and will not have to worry about slack when the take comes and you have to strike quickly. My favorite is an intermediate line. You can always count it down to the proper depth you want.
    FFF Life Member #22

Two things in my opinion:

Full-sinking lines are a pain in the @ss. The last part of a FSL is always between your feet, entangled if you are wading. Or they are sunken around rocks and branches. Obviously, do not float and you cant't mend them on the current.
    Sink-tips are excellent when are 30ft lenght, never less. Shorter ones like Teenies, Cabelas, are bullshit. You feel them as bait casting with a heavy spoon; forget loops with them.
    Long sinking tips lines help you to make a good, comfortable loop. Cortland Quick Descend is the best sinking tip in my opinion. Perhaps other brands copied that fantastic line of 30ft, which is my top choice when I want to go deep.

Sorry, my English is basic. Hope this helps.

Waterfox[/quote]

This came up before, but I prefer FULL SINK. Density Compensated the most, however wet cell has it's time and place. I also love Depth Charge (30'of weighted grain as per rod weight) then 70' of intermediate. This has been the most productive for me.
    I will use a full sink II on the rivers with no problems at all.
    I have some streamer (15' sinking and rest floating) line that I still have used that much.

Waterfox you say 30' of sink tip, dang on some of the waters I fish they are only 18' deep, that is a full sink.

For any emerging insect, a sink-tip is hard to beat. The only time a sink-tip is bad is when,obviously,the water is shallow. Otherwise, use a sink-tip, because the insects rise through the water column in sporadic jerks and only a sink-tip can reproduce this. If the fish are looking for leeches or other horizontal swimming creatures, a stillwater or intermediate fly line will do the job. The intermediate fly line will allow you to re-create the swimming motion the longest without the fly falling below the feeding zone of the fish. Type II and Type III lines have their place too, but keep in mind, the faster they sink, the longer the cast has to be to stay in the strike zone longer before the fly falls through it. The key is to count-down and retrieve until you get hits. [/u]

Interesting thread, what I got so far is that it really depends on the water you are fishing and what your strategy is.

I have a variety from short sink tips like the Teeny Mini Tip, to my current favorite, the Teeny Kelly Gallup Professional. This line is 60' full sink line -- nothing else. Great in a boat, or if you want to get down and stay down. I found that this line when fishing streamers keeps the fly in the strike zone like no other. I watched me catch fish 2 to 1 over another better fisher using a Rio Type VI 15' sink tip when fishing side by side. It takes a while to figure out how to line control your depth based on current and depth you are targeting, but you can really do more with this than any other sink line I have found. Quite interesting line, but it works. You can add running line if you want to your 60' but if you just are pounding banks from a boat, or fishing smaller water, you just need to add another 100yds of backing over typical floating or sink line.

And then there is the Teeny Magnum Chuck and Duck, get down baby, get down! Nothing like 14ips to 16ips! But you better be real good with a 7 or 8wt to cast it, and you work using a 10wt with it but it is easier with that size or bigger rod. Forget about false casting, just roll cast it or a huge open loop single backcast with a wicked flip with some high line speed. It is the magnum pig of the sink tips but great for big drop offs into deep holes.

Off to Chile tomorrow, I got all of them with me.

+ Reply to Thread