+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner Fly Tying Kits

Default Beginner Fly Tying Kits

Is the Cabela's super duper kit the way to go for someone interested in learning to tie, or should I get all the items listed here in the tying section?

What is the BEST way to get into this???

Default Tying kit

Cant say if the kit is the best, but 12 years ago my Mother in Law bought me the basic kit from Cabelas. It got me started, and as I got better I kept up grading and buying materials. One thing I strongly recomend is buying hackle from Conranch Hackle. Denny is a sponser here and has excellent hackle. He is also pretty awesome answering any questions you have. Good luck and good tying

I teach a Beginners Fly Tying class and I always tell my students that I would not recommend a kit because the companies that create kits do not know if the person purchasing the kit is a salt water fisherman, cold water fisherman or warm water fisherman and so they pack their kits with material for each. If you only fish for trout you end up with material that you cannot use because it is either the wrong color or size. I would recommend a good starter vise and tools and then purchase one of the "Fly in the Box" kits. In this box there will be one fly tied for a pattern and enough material in the box to tie 12 more just like it. There will also be a picture/step-by-step tying instructions. Using these you will only have material to tie the fly represented and no waste plus once you have tied 12 of them, you should have the pattern down pretty good plus you will know what material to buy to tie more of them. There is a "Fly in the Box" kit for dry flies, wet flies and streamers. As you continue to tie flies, you will get use to the material needed and know what material you can start buying to stock up on. This is what I would recommend you do. My opinion only and I know there will others with good suggestions for you too. Most important thing is to have fun.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I purchased a cabellas kit, I don't use the vice or any of the tools, I found the thread and materials to be second class and not applicable to the flys I tie. I pretty much replaced everything in the kit one tool at a time. I would purchase a decent vice, see the Al Campbell articles for recomendations, and I would buy a good bobbin and hackle pliers along with the vice. I would then buy scisors and a finger nail file at walmart and start tying.

Just my 2 cents worth.

read the beginnig tying section along with the tips section for further info.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

A fishing buddy of mine decided to start tyeing last year and bought a Bass Pro kit. Based upon it I would agree with the folks here that it is better to buy the stuff separately. Get a good vise, and basic tools, go to the fly tyeing section here and get started. Buy the materials you need as you need them. Just my opinion.

Dan

You can probably get into tying by assembling the items you need yourself for about the same price as a kit. Your local fly shop should have most of the starter tools for a decent price and I got a good starter vice from H&H for a very great price.

Your local fly shop will help you get just the stuff you'll need to start out. But you'll definitely want to read Al Campbell's tying series first, just to be sure you get what you need.

You can always upgrade your vise later and the specialty tools can be acquired as you learn. Then, come here to sell off whatever you no longer need to other beginners.

Good Luck and Welcome to the tying world.
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Thank Y'all! That is why these forums as so IMPORTANT! I will pull up that article and start down the list!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Eric, I bought a cabelas kit and kept the vice for a while but have now upgraded everything. Its a good way to see if you like tying before you spend a lot of money on tools and materials.

Warm Water

Default Kits

I to started with a kit. All it did was give me the confidence to start tying. The other posts are right on as to the usefulness of a lot of the materials contained in the typical kit. I've found that most of the stuff was old and of poor quality and didn't give me the stuff to expand. So, one piece at a time I had to go out and buy new tools. The next step is a new vice. The kit I bought was somewhere near $65 and I think I tied 10 flies with the materials they provided (that's $6.50/fly, ouch). I would buy them seperately now.

MarkF,

I just read through Al's "Basic Fly Tying Kit for a Christmas Gift (or any other neat opportunity)." You can't go wrong with his advise. You'll end up with a good foundation that will last you a very long time.

I should warn you that Al's kit list is a common sense approach which fades quickly once the addiction grabs hold. There is no cure and you are doomed to buying every gadget under the sun not to mention all sorts of materials from the strange to the exotic. You'll never look at your pet the same way again, not to mention your own hair and road kill - I won't even go there.

Good luck!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread