+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salmon River, NY

Default Salmon River, NY

The river is absolutly loaded with fish top to bottom. The water is extremly high so be careful wading. Fish spawning on gravel and steelhead eating eggs behind them. Some brown trout starting to enter and more on their way. Lots of people on the weekend, but nearly empty during the week. If you walk from the parking lots their is plenty of water with no one there. Recommend a trip to anyone that wants to hook a fish over 20 lbs. Their is a chance to hook up on every cast. Grab a rod and good luck.

Any suggestions for someone who would like to go to fish who has never been there? I would like to go there some year but I hear that river is hard to fish.

It can be tough to fish, but if you get the right technique down it can extremly easy. It is hard to explain how to fish certain ways just by writing it down. My suggestion would be to hire a guide. There are a number, and some are better than others. I just had a trip with Randy Jones and would reccommend him highly. You can see his website at www.yankeeangler.com. He uses un-traditional fly methods to fish but still uses fly gear. There is another guide I have been told about that only uses traditional fly methods. His site is www.flyguysoutfitting.com. Check out the sites and see what you think. If you do decide to book a guide, stay the day after and fish on your own also. That way you wont forget what they taught you and you can use it year after year. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread