+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caney Fork River (Tennessee)

Default Caney Fork River (Tennessee)

I'm planning a trip to the Caney Fork for late Novembr/early December. I'll be putting in a canoe a couple of miles below the dam and floating for 3-5 miles. I've never fished this system and was wondering if someone could suggest some specific patterns. Thanks.

Greg

I cannot recommend any flies for you to use, but, I can ask you to please make sure and check the generation schedule and check it often. The Caney is a good fishing river, but, it can get real dangerous in a hurry and they seem to always be generating. My home river is the Elk River and there are many fishermen on it lately that really wanted to fish the Caney but the generation schedule chased them off. Usually they do not generate on the Elk River on the weekends. The Elk River is the tailwaters below Tims Ford Lake.

Please be very careful on the Caney when you go.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

gqualls
    I spent some time fishing the Duck with Warren last June and he sure know's his stuff. Weighted Nymph's size 10 - 12 were the staple with furled flourocarbon leaders and tipits. Drift them across & down the deep runs. Warren has a version best discribed and a modified Woolybugger that is a killer!
    The Caney may be different so I defer to Warren.

I wou;d recomend you bring BHPT's in size 14-20, zebra midges 18-22 (black, green, grey), soft hackles, wooly buggers and scuds/sowbugs. The float you are talking about covers some good runs. PM me and I'll tell you a few of the spots i really like along the way.

The caney is a good river but be sure to check the schedule and be on the right side of the river when the water hits. It can come up quick on you. Have fun and good luck.

adam

+ Reply to Thread