+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions For Winter Reading

Default Suggestions For Winter Reading

Cold, wet and windy here today and I need some winter reading ideas to get me motavated and back on the tying bench. The books I have enjoyed the most are by John Gierach. Does anyone have any suggestions for simalar reading material or books on Colorado/New Mexico trout fishing?

Also I have 2 books I would be clad to send out free to anyone that could put them to good use. They are FIRST CAST "teaching kids to fly-fish" by Phil Genova and FAITHFUL TRAVELERS "A father. A Daughter. A fly-fishing journey of the heart" by James Dodson. I failed to get my kids to be fly fisherman however we grew very close while trying.

2. Default

There are a great number of books I can recommend on fly fishing, that will fill the bill for some good winter reads. One I recommend is "Trout Magic" by Robert Traver, another is "The Well Tempered Angler" by Arnold Gingrich, along with his, "The Joys of Trout". Toss in "The Lore and Lure of Trout Fishing" by Alvin B. Grove, and you have some fine writing to enjoy!

I'd love to take you up on that offer of the "First Cast" book. My son and have been fishing a few times together and he likes it, but, being a relative newb myself, teaching is truly a struggle. I'd be happy to cover the cost of S&H.

I wish I could offer som ehelp on the books... my reading begins and end with Gierach. I will be following this thread closely for some suggestions as well!

Thanks!

Trout hunting by bob wyatt, its a great read and fairly braod, but it really comes down to what trout eat and why they eat.

Trout by Ray Bergman. A true classic.

Start with the best there is. And its free! ME!
    Right. Check out the first Castwell columns. Some award winning stuff there. Some even approaching journalism. Some day they will all be classics. Just will take a few more years. Lynneslinger? You know him? I bet you have been in his store!

PM Sent. THANKS!!!

well while you all are home reading those book about them big 4-10lb rainbows... cuddled up next to your fire places and heaters.... and its 10pm...

I'll be on the water... catching that 8lb rainbow.. listening to my reel scream in the moonlight...
    of a cold winter night...

Leonard

"been there, done that, got the hat". Go for it...
    (It was us guys who did it and wrote about it, and that inspired 'puppies' like you. Now,,, it's your turn.)

ksfisher;
    May I suggest Ed Engle's "Tying Small Flies". May help to motavate you to the bench tying fly's for the waters you fish.
    I'd love the First Cast "Teaching Kids to Fly Fish" book, maybe we can work a trade?

+ Reply to Thread