+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel

Default Squirrel

i'm going squirrel hunting for a couple of tails this weekend and was wondering if anyone knew of any squirrel patterns for Warm Water bass and gills, besides streamers

Thanks
    Warm Water

Default Squirrel hair

WW,

You can use squirrel hair, and not just the tails, for lots of things. Dubbing, wing cases and legs on nymphs, tails on many flies.

I don't know of any 'patterns' that call for it specifically (I tend to ignoe the whole 'pattern' thing mostly), but I do know that you can substitute it into any fly that calls for such things and catch fish on it.

I actually prefer if for wing cases and tailing on GRHE type baits. Durable and easy to use. I like that the tail hair doesn't require 'stacking' but comes pre 'evened' by the squirrel.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

will have to save some patches of hide too. Thanks, Buddy

Warm Water

how do you remove moisture and bugs? for moisture i've heard to salt the tail, put it in a ziploc bag and put it in the freezer. i've never tried this and want to know if anyone else has

WWFF:

I've used bunches of squirrel tail to make the claws on crawdad patterns. It dyes pretty good so you can dye it the color of your choice.

Squirrel fur makes fantastic spikey dubbing.

Google red fox squirrel nymph, and you will find several versions of Dave Whitlock's pattern. It should work for panfish.

Thanks Bamboozle and Jayatwork

Happy Tying
    Warm Water

Default Squirrel

Try a Squirrelly Cuss (link below):

[url=http://www.invictaflies.us/Panfish%20flies/squirrellycuss.htm:00b69]Squirrelly Cuss[/url:00b69]

Or .... (sorry, this one is a streamer):

[url=http://www.invictaflies.us/Streamers/Squirrel%20Tail.htm:00b69]Squirrel Tail[/url:00b69]

Or ....:

[url=http://www.invictaflies.us/Nymphs/Copper%20Squirrel.htm:00b69]Copper Squirrel[/url:00b69]

Be sure to check your local hunting regulations. Fox Squirrels here in Florida are endangered and protected but Gray (sometimes called Cat Squirrels) Squirrels are not. Have fun .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

The Picket Pin uses squirrel hair. I use a bit of CA glue when tying squirrel tail, as it's very slippery. I also will layer the fibers rather than tie in a large bunch.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hi,
    Many of the Salmon Hairwings use Squirrel tail as the wing. I suppose they are "streamers", although I've been tying some Rusty Rats on Size 10 normal shank hooks and they make a nice looking standard wet fly pattern. I'm hoping to test them out this weekend, but the weather isn't looking the best. Will see.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread