+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sage Z Axis

Default New Sage Z Axis

With the sunsetting of the beloved XP I am suprised their has not been more buzz about this new rod. I read the editorial review on this site but it was rather unspecific but amusing. Has anyone cast the new rod or fished it?

I cast it twice, both times a 590. My impression was that it was a copy of the Winston BIIx, but a very good one. I really like it, and would probably buy one if I was in the market for a new rod.

Also, it is a very good-looking rod. Dark green graphite with red and gold tags? I think that was it, but I don't remember. I do remember thinking that it looked very good.

Default Where did the Boron go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I cast it twice, both times a 590. My impression was that it was a copy of the Winston BIIx, but a very good one. I really like it, and would probably buy one if I was in the market for a new rod.

Also, it is a very good-looking rod. Dark green graphite with red and gold tags? I think that was it, but I don't remember. I do remember thinking that it looked very good.
    Does the Z-axis contain Boron? If not then I would state that Sage's G5 Technology is the peak of graphite rod perfection. I state this because I just purchased a TXL that was built on G5 technology. I can only conclude that it is as precise as a surgical instrument.
    Regards,

Jose

><((((0>

I cast the 586-4 last saturday. Nice rod, very responsive tip with a short line and a lot of reserved power in the butt section. Tracks well and felt good in the hand. Had I not just bought an SLT last year I may have been inclined to buy one.

I tried to compare my SLT to the Z-axis... but not being an expert it is very hard to tell the difference accept that the SLT requires a little slower casting stroke.

I too liked the cosmetics of the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by quillg
    I cast the 586-4 last saturday. Nice rod, very responsive tip with a short line and a lot of reserved power in the butt section. Tracks well and felt good in the hand. Had I not just bought an SLT last year I may have been inclined to buy one.

I tried to compare my SLT to the Z-axis... but not being an expert it is very hard to tell the difference accept that the SLT requires a little slower casting stroke.

I too liked the cosmetics of the rod.
    I'm in the same position - I have an SLT I got a few years back that still does the job just fine. I actually like the Z-Axis a bit better, but not enough to justify the cost of an upgrade.

Well yes. I wrote how we both (and ALL who cast it) loved the rod at the Michigan 'Fish-In'. Also that I fished it and also won the distance casting contest with it in Idaho at the recent 'Fish-In'.

Yup, got to cast a 4 wgt at the fly shop and cast JC's rod at the Idaho Fish-In (came in 3d in the distance casting). Nice looking rod for sure and a real pleasure to cast. Like others, I also have a fairly new SLT and can't justify the expense to upgrade to the Z-Axis. It is a great temptation though.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I am going to test cast one next week. Until then threads like this and JC's article keeps my interest up.

Having both an SLT and XP my wife reminds me I don't need another, but if the Z-Axis is good enough to replace the XP, it would be nice to add it to my arsenal.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Tyrone, the XP, TCR and the SLT are/were dandy sticks. Do I like the Z-Axis 'better' ? No. Each has its place. Do I think it is one of the very best they have ever designed? Absolutely. If you can afford one,,, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Tyrone, the XP, TCR and the SLT are/were dandy sticks. Do I like the Z-Axis 'better' ? No. Each has its place. Do I think it is one of the very best they have ever designed? Absolutely. If you can afford one,,, go for it!
    JC,

I been selling my old film camera gear and can afford to buy it, but I don't know if I can afford the wrath of my wife.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread