+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 wt

Default St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 wt

Does anyone have one? (a st. croix Legend ultra 5 wt 8.5 ft). My current favorite rod is a St. Croix rod a custom builder made for me out of the same blank the Avid (pre IPC) is made on.

I'm wondering how the actions compare? Is the Legend Ultra super fast? I'm really interested in this rod but unfortunately none of the fly shops in my area carry this rod.

thanks for any info,

Greg

Dear Greg,

I don't know if this is going to help you, but I have a St. Croix 9 foot 4 piece 5 weight Legend Ultra from the pre-IPC days that I like a lot.

To me at least, it is not a fast rod. I'd consider it to be much closer to medium than to fast, but it does well tossing anything from weighted nymphs and streamers to small dry flies.

Personally, I think many of the older Legend Ultra's were great rods. Had I discovered them early in my fly fishing career I'd have bought more of them.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Perhaps this will help. I have a StC. Avid 8' 4wt, and a StC LU 8.5' 5wt and a 4pc 9' 7wt LU. I also have owned an 9' 9wt Avid, a 9' 5wt & 7wt (black Legend) and a couple of Imperials. I have 13 rods, the stiffest are a Loomis IMX 9' 6wt and a Redington CPS 9' 7wt (which is also the lightest For its line weight. I also have friends with 5 & 6 wt 9' LU that I have cast. OK - so what is my opinion.

The Legend Ultra is medium fast, which is about what I want for fishing. For smaller streams the Avid is fine, but is too soft for larger streams or casting competitions. The LU is right there. I actually prefer 8.5ft rods and will choose them if I can find them as I find the extra 6" on a 9' just adds to elbow fatigue. If I am ONLY fishing streamers or wet flies downstream I might go to the Lamiglass 8.5' 5wt, but otherwise when I use the 5wt 8.5' LU I go to the stream with confidence. If you can get one then go for it. Otherwise purchase a 9' 5wt Redington CPS because it will be wonderful and LIGHT.

I appreciate both of your comments.

thanks,

Greg

if you decide to buy one i have a 8' 5wt. and a 9' 5 wt. for sale just go to the for sale board.

I would judge mine to be medium fast.

I have recently purchased the St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 weight (new modules), as well as the St. Croix Avid 4 weight (new modules).

That Avid with its new modules, is for all extent and purpose, the St. Croix Legend Ultra (old modules).

Both the the old modules, as well as the new modules, are great casting fly rods. The Avid (new modules, is still a great rod for wet or dry fly presentation. And the St. Croix Legend Ultra is a great casting rod for dry or surface flies.

I also have the St. Croix Legend Ultra (old modules) in a 9 weight, that I use for my surface flies for Tiger Muskie & Steelhead fishing. ~Parnelli

Mr. Castwell I just found your review on this rod series. It was very well done. Thank you.

Greg

Default Re: St. Croix Legend Ultra 5 wt

Quote Originally Posted by glm38
    Does anyone have one? (a st. croix Legend ultra 5 wt 8.5 ft). My current favorite rod is a St. Croix rod a custom builder made for me out of the same blank the Avid (pre IPC) is made on.

I'm wondering how the actions compare? Is the Legend Ultra super fast? I'm really interested in this rod but unfortunately none of the fly shops in my area carry this rod.

thanks for any info,

Greg
    I have one. Have owned it for about 6 years now. It is a very fast action rod compared to the Avid and most other rods out there. It tosses anything from a size 6 to a size 20 real well.

I have an older 9' 5 wt...before "ART and IPC" technology. Its just a good middle of the road rod. Not real fast but fast enough, not too soft but soft enough.
    Its a fine rod to cast and fish...

+ Reply to Thread