+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winston BIIX 9'6" for 5wt compared to Sage XP

Default Winston BIIX 9'6" for 5wt compared to Sage XP

I struggle with arthritic shoulders and find the Sage XP make my casting arm shoulder very sore, very quickly. I have other, softer Winston rods that are much easier on my shoulder ... wonder if any of you have tried the new Winston 9'6" for 5wt and what do you think of it? How does it compare/contrast to a Sage XP 9' for 5wt?
    Thanks

The Winston is a fine rod. I have cast the 9' 6wt and it seemed very nice and smooth definitly not as fast as the xp, but few rods are. Another rod you should consider is the Sage SLT. Its a nice med-fast action, but it seems like when you need to laydown the hammer and shoot some line it can do it. Again the best advice is too just cast a bunch of rods and see what feels comfortable.

Mike

3. Default

I've owned a 9ft 5wt XP and a BoronIIx in 8'6'" 5wt. Not exactly what you ask about but a good frame of reference.

The XP is MUCH stiffer/faster than the BIIx. The BIIx is not fast in comparison to most rods, but I guess it's fast for a Winston. It has a suprising amount of range, it fished up close very well and feels fairly soft but when you need to bang it out there, it delivers.

I sold the XP after fishing the Winston. I did, however, keep my 9' 5wt Sage SLT. Just too nice of a rod to let go. It's pretty similar to the BIIx with a bit more power and weight.

I just bought a 9' 5wt BIIx. I cast it head to head with the XP and much preferred the Winston's softer action. It's the smoothest, lightest rod I've ever cast.

I think your shoulder would love it!

5. Default

One thought...if you have arthritis in your shoulder I'd think 1) a rod shorter than 9 1/2' would be easier on the joint and 2) a softer action would be easier also. Do you need a 9 1/2' rod where you fish? I have a 9' XP for a 6 and I can feel it at the end of the day and I don't have arthritis. You can do what you want but I'd look at an 8' or 8 1/2' softer action like an SLT or WT if it were my shoulder.
    Good luck.

I settled on an 8'6" WT .... beautiful casting rod and easy on my shoulder.
    Thanks all for your input.
    Ken

A Winston "WT" Model 8ft 6 inches 3 piece

+ Reply to Thread