+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding tying instructions

Default Help finding tying instructions

I am starting my fly tying class again this year and I have learned that the students, no matter how much I show them, don't seem to understand how to tie the thread on. This year, I want to try showing them while they have pictures in front of them. I have looked clear through the Beginning tying instructions from Al Campbell on this site, and I can't find where he teaches how to tie thread on the hook. On the EZ Nymph in step 1, Al states, "Start the thread on the hook. You did this last time, so I won't go into detail again." The problem is I can't find where he shows this step - I've gone through all the beginning tying stuff. Is there some place I am missing? Is there a site someone can point me to that shows this step? Any help would be appreciated!

it tells you on Part 5 Matarelli-style Whip Finishers there are no pictures though

try this maybe it will help
    http://www.tie1on.net/startth.htm

heres an animation to look at. will they be able to see a computer?

http://www.tie1on.net/thredani.htm

Thank you!! That was what I was looking for. Yes, I have a computer projector in class and I will definately show them this!!!!!!

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

good luck. what patterns will you be teaching, or aren't you sure yet?

Thanks Diane, that site helps also.

Warmwater - This will be the third year that I've taught the class. I've got some kids that are quite skilled at tying, while others struggle with simply tying the thread on. The list of flies that I can teach are limited by those factors, and that fact that there is just one of me for 20 kids, and I'm pregnant to boot!! In the past we've tied wooly buggers, which are difficult if you're teaching 20 kids at one time, some midges, various nymphs, and some foam beetles. I usually start the kids out with a green weenie since it is very easy. I'll probably start with that this year and then do Al's EZ nymph and go from there.

I get frustrated because I can't teach the kids individually. I'm a perfectionist and I want the kids to tie "perfect" flies. I have to constantly remind myself that I am just teaching the basics. If a kid is serious about tying, they will continue this hobby on their own time and seek out perfection and more difficult patterns on their own.

You're welcome.

I have two ideas for you:

1. ugly flies catch fish

and

2. is there a local FFF or TU chapter or even a local college who could provide you with a volunteer or two to help you teach tying?
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane - The closest FFF club is 2 hours away, the closest TU is 2.5 hours away, and the closest college that could possibly help me is 2 hours away! Heck, the closest McDonalds is 2 hours away!!! We're pretty remote up here in extreme N California. I contacted the closest FFF club when I started the class two years ago and no one returned my call or letter, then I contacted the FFF club in Redding CA and had a guy verbally commit to have his club help me, but he bailed on me and I haven't heard from him since. I get by teaching it by myself, but I am going to try a new approach this year. I have some of Kauffamn's books on how to tie flies, and I've got Al's instructions here that I can print off, so I'm going to run some copies for the kids and see if that helps at all. I can show the how to's from Al on my computer projector, but the different tying speeds of the kids make that kind of difficult.

Thanks for the help again!

+ Reply to Thread