+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flouracarbon leader and tippet quetions

Default Flouracarbon leader and tippet quetions

I am considering switching my leader and tippets to flouracarbon, but understand that they sink more than others. Does anyone know if this is true and would it sink enough to create a problem keeping dry flys floating? I also have never stuck with one brand of leader and wanted to know what brand everyone likes best? Has anyone seen a field comparison of leaders and tippets for quality and knot strength?

Yes flourocarbon leaders sink. Not so much that they will drag a dry fly underwater but the fly generally gets dragged under when making the backcast. This also happens with mono leaders sometimes as well. I know people do use them for dry flies though and they should be less visible to the fish under the water.

As for brands, all of the major brands these days are very good. I'm sure you will hear a variety of votes. My personal preference is for Frog Hair, but that's just me. I've also been very happy with Rio when I've used it.

ksfisher:

I concur with RickB's assessment. I consider fluorocarbon leaders a waste of money but I do use fluoro tippets since I'm convinced that's the only section of my leader that matters. Furled leaders sort of prove that the back sections of a leader really don't matter when it comes to visibility.

As far as the sinking thing goes; I personally prefer a sinking tippet when fishing dries since I believe that a tippet in the surface film is more visible than one below it. Sinking tippets don't present a problem for me when fishing dries since a tippet is so light that it may not break the film anyway even if fluoro is denser than mono. I guess if I got a 5 minute float on one cast it might have time to sink but in most cases MY fluoro tippets don't sink. When it does sink, it doesn't pull my flies under and I fish small stuff too.

As far as brands go Seaguar and Rio Fluoroflex Plus are EXCELLENT followed by Orvis Mirage on my buy list.

"even if fluoro absorbs more water than mono."
    Would you expline this please?

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    "even if fluoro absorbs more water than mono."
    Would you expline this please?
    I can't, I confused myself so I edited my post. I meant that it was denser/heavier than mono.

I use fluro quite a bit...the leaders and tippets. I use the leaders, mostly for salmon and steelhead fishing, or in any situation that requires sinking flies and leader shy fish.
    For dry fly fishing, or most of my trout fishing, I use mono leaders and fluro tippets. That set-up will keep dries floating. If you use the fluro leaders and tippets together, you're dries (depending on size and mass, of course) will probably sink to some extent.
    Also, when tying knots with fluro, make sure you wet knot them and don't use as many wraps as you would with mono. It tends to stick.
    As far as brands, the ones mentioned are all very good.

ksfisher, I started this comparison chart several years ago and have updated it a few times, but not in a while. It's been posted here before. It compares tippet based on manufacture specs but does not have knot strength figures. However, as I mention on the chart page, I have found Frog Hair and Seaguar to be very strong and have the best knot strength. That's what I use. They are both sponsors here and you can find more information on them at the sponsors page

[url=http://66.34.165.101/demo/tippet.html:a8a1c]Tippet Chart[/url:a8a1c]

froghair is good stuff

as for flouro v/s mono, I've not convinced myself that one is better than the next - but froghair is good for both

Dudes I am impressed with this board. THANKS for all the info.

Of course one answer leads to another question.

Will a blood knot hold between a flouro tippet and the mono leader? I hate to go to a looped end.

Quote Originally Posted by ksfisher
    Will a blood knot hold between a flouro tippet and the mono leader?
    It does for me taking all the same precautions as you would with any knot tied in fluoro: lubrication, properly formed, draw up slowly.

+ Reply to Thread