+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orvis CFO III Disc Drag?

1. Default New Orvis CFO III Disc Drag?

Hello,
    I like this reel because it has a disc drag, But I am not sure to buy it... I have spoken with orvis.com and they tell me that "the reel is made using English components but built in the Far East".
    How the construction, quality, is ?this reel?
    Thanks

I use to love the Orvis reels. Since they started making them in Asia, i've sworn off them. I've heard from a few people that have had problems with the reels warping. There's a lot of other, quality made reels out there, in the same price range.

Buy the reel!!

I have a Mid-Arbor that's made in their Asian plant and it's nothing short of fantastic. The CFO made in Asia is made with the same materials that it was made with in England.

I bought/own one of the CFO's just before they moved the operations. The "metal button" that covers the arbor on the back side fell off and I had to epoxy it back on...no big deal, so the fact that their made in Asia makes them inferior.....I don't buy it. I can believe that there probably were some quality issue's in the beginning. But as I said at the start, my Mid-Arbor looks and fishes great.

pspaint- I'd like to see what those people are doing to those reels to make them warp.
    --------------------------------------

Rich

quillg...nothing, the tolerences were way off. Orvis took care of the problem, but I hate the idea of them moving production to Asia. I know they weren't made here (except the Vortex), but with all the outsourcing to the Asian countries, It was nice to have products that were'nt Asian made. I'll take a US made reel, or British, Swedish, German etc., over anything made in China.
    Orvis use to be one of my favorites.
    This is starting to sound like a "sound-off" post. I'll stop ranting now. lol.

alexcamp, i wouldn't hesitate to buy the new cfo. like quillg, i have the made in asia mid-arbor and it is a peach of a reel. plus, orvis customer service is outstanding and if you did have problems, they'd take care of them. if you're dead set on an english made cfo, i have a III spooled with 5wt. wonderline that i could be talked out of. let me know if you're interested.

I don't know about the specific reel that you are buying; however, I bought two of the Battenkill Midarbor type reels. They weren't very much (about 125) and so far have worked out fine. When fishing with a friend who was using the pfleuger Trion reel -(about $90)- we opened them up and they are identical on the inside -- so the moral to this story is that I could have saved about $30 on each reel and bought the Pfleugar instead -- or some other type of reel.

I have several Large Arbors (I, II, & III) and several CFO spring /pawl (love that Hardy sound) all made in England. Recently I had a break in and lost my favorite rod, plus a couple of reels. I have replaced the LA's and the only difference I can see right off the bat is that the BLACK is shinier (m/s)
    and no made in England on the foot, but they are smooth. I also ordered a CFO II cause of the bronze finish. I think it will look fantastic on my boo and my glass, performance I have no worries...IT'S ORVIS.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dpenrod
    alexcamp, i wouldn't hesitate to buy the new cfo. like quillg, i have the made in asia mid-arbor and it is a peach of a reel. plus, orvis customer service is outstanding and if you did have problems, they'd take care of them. if you're dead set on an english made cfo, i have a III spooled with 5wt. wonderline that i could be talked out of. let me know if you're interested.
    Thanks Dpenrod, I will bear it in mind.

I'm just curious...since they started getting made in China, how much of a price drop have they extended to us...that is the usual reason to make things overseas right? To cut costs? I bet they must donate it, because they wouldn't be lining their pockets.

-Pemi

Default CFO - love it

I have a CFO III paired with my Winston 5wt and its a dream. I got the last one in the store that was made in England. But I also bought an Asian made Battenkill Mid-arbor for my 8wt and it has performed flawlessly. If you like the "feel" of an old time reel, you will love the CFO. It will go great with a Bamboo rod.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread