+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stocking foot waders and water clogs...

1. Default stocking foot waders and water clogs...

fishing folks,

I've decided to purchase either a pair of Simms Lightweight Stockingfoots - no gravel guards

OR...

Dan Bailey Lightweight Breathable Waders - with gravel guards.

my question is about the foot gear one should wear with either of these SF waders. I've read that sand and especially gravel can migrate easily into shoes, making travel uncomfortable and comprimising the water tight integrity of the neoprene stockingfoot.

I'd like to use something light that slips on easily - don't fancy laces. so here are a couple of water clogs i'm looking at:
    [url=http://www.bigfootwear.com/products/products.asp?product_id=539:ad85d]http://www.bigfootwear.com/products/products.asp?product_id=539[/url:ad85d]

and
    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7118866773&category=73 936:ad85d]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7118866773&category=73 936[/url:ad85d]

I've never owned waders before so i don't know what to expect. Prehaps a fellow wader can offer some possible alternatives or tell me if the foot gear i'm looking at will do the job, or is completely out of order.

since i've been led to believe that the stocking foot itself is most prone to leaking how concerned should i be about adaquate foot gear?

i'll be fishing oregon rivers for the most part, plenty of sand, plenty of gravel.

alternatively i can utlize some spare Xtratuf rubber boots from work... by cutting down a size 11 which is one size larger than i wear. and hopfully this will slip on my size ten stocking foot waders.

{this is my personal preference since i wear XtraTuf boots a lot and like them}

also any advice about the respective merits of these two wader brands would be appreciated.

thanks for your patience with a perplexed shopper.

tws

You can buy gravel guards separately that fasten on with Velcro. Also a good idea to wear a pair of synthetic material socks between your stockingfoot waders and your boots as this will further reduce friction from sand and gravel and extend wader life. Synthetic socks cuz they won't be as heavy while walking back out.

I use some Cabela's waders with built in gravel guards. Have actually considered cutting them off and going with the Velcro ones as they get very stiff in the cold weather, making it harder to take the waders off.

Hope this helps.

Gravel guards bridge the area around the top of wading boots to keep sand and gravel out of the boot, but if you just wear the clogs, the gravel guards won't work, either the builtin or wrap on. Also, the clogs won't keep you from bumping your feet into boulders and such.

Good quality wading boots and gravel guards. Simple and I'm sure you'll find that system works.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

tws, two of the import functions of wading shoes is support and comfort. You will be walking/wading on rough and slippery surfaces. Get good equipment that fitts you well and you will enjoy the sport more and be safer.

------------------
    Joe

Stocking foot waders are meant to be worn with wading boots not clogs/sandals like you are looking at. Someone may not agree with me, but, the two items for your feet that you are looking at are to be worn when you are doing what we call "wet wading". Wet wading is wearing a pair of shorts and wading in the river. Both waders you are looking at are good. My choice would be with the ones with the built in gravel guards. I would then purchase a good pair of wading boots. I have ordered the Dan Bailey waders with built in gravel guards and they should be here soon. I now have the Dan Bailey waders with no gravel guards and use the velcro wrap around gravel guards which I do not like since in fast water they have been know to come off and go with the current. I have purchased 2 sets due to them coming off and that is why I prefer the built in gravel guards. These are my own opinions and my own choices.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I just looked at the links to what you are thinking of buying. WarrenP is right! those are not suitable for use with stocking foot waders.

Chota makes a boot with a quick lace system that's pretty slick. Gravel guards are a good idea.

------------------
    Joe

8. Default

Thanks everyone,

I think i get the picture now.

I'll have a look at some quick fasten wading boots.

I'll go with the Dan Bailey waders as they also fold down to waist waders when conditions allow and have a good reputation.

thanks again!

tws

I have a pair of Chota studded boots which I like a lot although next time I'd go with the rubber sole rather than felt since snow clumps on the felt ones when walking (but snow might not be a problem where you are)

TWS,

I'll go with the Dan Bailey waders as they also fold down to waist waders when conditions allow and have a good reputation.
    As a note, almost all well made waders will roll down. The suspenders should have inverted buckles so that they become a belt.

ps ... I use the Chotas too and like 'em very much. Medium support, light, speed laces.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread