+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how do I catch fish in this situation....

Default So how do I catch fish in this situation....

Ok, I'm fishing this spot that was stocked a little over a week ago and has been fished pretty hard. Last night I'm there all by my self, no body to bother me. The fish are going crazy for something the whole night. For the most part they are just bulging when coming up but some fish are making nice splashes and even coming all the way out of the water.

The only thing in the air that I can see are a pretty good concentration of midges and a few caddis flys so i try every midge pattern in all the sizes and get nothing but a few refusals...using a 6x leader, good drift, everything is right. I had one take but couldn't hang on to the fish.

I continue to try most of my dry flys with no luck.

The only thing i was able to take fish on was a wooley bugger pattern. which i did take a really nice bow on so i was happy.

My question to you guys is what do i do in this situation. The fish were feeding all over the place nostop for the whole time i was there. I'm guessing they were feeding on emergers or something? which being newer to fly fishing i don't have a nice supply yet. It was just frustrating how picky those fish could be. what would use guys have tried

I think you hit it on the head with the emerger.

Hi,
    A smal soft hackle on a dry fly hook would be worth a try. Also, some dark grey osterich hurl wrapped on a size 20 or smaller hook would be worth a shot (can be a nice surface film midge pattern if it lands soft, and good just sub-surface as well). A size 12 or 14 Invicta might be worth a try (I find these work well sub-surface if trout are feeding on caddis).

Basically, I would have tried some wet flies, winged or wingless. Then, it would just be a matter of figuring out if they are taking the midges or the caddis sub-surface.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Fishing in the evening in October my first guess would have been the October Caddis emerger.Size 12

Tom

The last time something like that happened to me it was small flying ants that they were feeding on
    VEE
    VEE

Default situation

Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, fished down and across, and worked just under the surface. Let it hang at the end of the swing, move it up and down a bit, swing it from side to side by moving your rod from one hand to the other.
    I would start off with #14 and work my way down as needed.
    I might try a light or dark Cahill fished the same way.
    AgMD

Midge pupa suspended below the surface or in the film is my go to fly for that same situation.

Where were you fishing BTW?

I saw the exact same thing on the Breeches the other day. Was it the Breeches?

no it was "powys curve" on Lycoming creek. I tried an ant pattern with no luck on hook ups. The fish were picky. I'd watch them come right up and nose my flies and then turn off. I feel like they were some kind of caddis pattern

Ripper:

I always wanted to fish Lycoming at the "Curve". I drive past it on my annual pilgrimage to Cedar Run and vicinity.

Another thing you may try is some small Blue Winged Olive dry flies or emergers like about size 20. We usually get Olive hatches this time of year on a lot of PA streams and the fish can key in on them. Try a dry BWO on top and a small soft hackle below it on a dropper.

Have fun! Ain't fishin' grand?

+ Reply to Thread