+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoiled or greedy

Default Spoiled or greedy

Okay, my mind is going a hundred miles an hour today (must be the meds kicking in)
    Anyway, How many out there have to have the new toys out there. Buy some new gaget (rod, reel, chest packs, vest, etc)and it is cool but, then it ends up hanging or piled or even lost somewhere.
    I know I have several rods and I keep adding to it. The sad thing is, I get a new rod I really like and the others get stuck in a corner. I realized I haven't used my Far and Fine all year, and I am thinking I really want to get the new 7'9" 5wt four piece.
    Is there a point when it get excessive?

nighthawk Guest

Could be spending that money on a lot worse things. Spoiled, nah..Greedy, no way. This sport is addicting but in a very good way. I also have the problem of a growing rod collection. I love it!

I have several rods that I truly love that I have not fished for years! I have had to force myself to only buy tying materials and tippet and maybe a couple of new lines a year. I ask myself now before every purchase "will this help me catch more fish?" If I can not honestly answer yes then I do not buy it.

Fly Goddess:

It's the old, "if I knew then, what I know now", adage; and, most of us do but, do nothing about it.

We listen to the industry and the beat goes on. You can't safely land a 3# LMB unless you're using an 8wt. You can't catch this without that....the same garbage I succumbed to years ago when I was spinning and casting (before I got religion and fly fish only).

This new material makes our rod...blah, blah, blah...and we shell-out $700 for a rod that will catch the same fish as our SA kit rod and reel.

IT'S MARKETING, FOLKS!!!

And, if any of you are thinking about a rebuttal, including our leaders, better read Neil Travis' article again! He's still catching tons of fish on 40 year old rods.....

My main go to rod is a 55 year old bamboo rod. I find I like the old reels better than the new ones (windup reels are an exception) It is the same with most hobbies. I am a ham radio operator and you should see the sales hype on new equipment! At up to ten grand for a tranceiver you can work the world! I work the world on pre world war two equipment. Works for me.

I fished with a bunch of guys this past weekend. No one used more than two rods, and yet there were piles of rod tubes everywhere.
    We spent evenings talking about rods, cane and glass mostly. Once in awhile someone would string one up and go down to the dock and cast it.
    "Yup,, that's a nice rod, casts like a cannon"
    For the record, I caught every one of my fish on the closeout W**mart rod I bought last spring for $13.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Don't worry, just think of it as doing your part to keep the economy moving!

Fly Goddess
    I have several rods that I love including my first bamboo that arrived today from John Channer! I don't fish all of them as often as I'd like to but that's o.k.
    Lately I have started thinking I'd like to start spending my money on fishing trips instead of rods, since I'm to the point that I have rods for all my fishing needs and any more would be just because I want them...
    VEE
    VEE

Default Re: Spoiled or greedy

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    Is there a point when it get excessive?
    I haven't found that to be true....

Cool web site October Woods.

+ Reply to Thread