+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: velcro hands

Default velcro hands

I am a novice fly angler who would like to learn to tye flies. When I have tried on occasion to tie, it seems as if my hands are made of velcro. I have tried several methods of making my hands more smooth, ie; cream with pumice, just pumice, hand stones, etc... Nothing seems to help. I work in construction and a lot of the time, gloves are not an option. Does any one have the same problem? If so, how did you overcome it? I would really like to be able to handle the tread without it sticking to my fingers every time I have to handle the fly.

Try some of those inexpensive surgical/disposable gloves. I used to have the same problem. Now i only estimate instead of build. RC
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Sacfisher,
    I've got the same problem, what I've found using "Bag Balm"( its made for cows udders) it's probaly the best hand Cream, lotion, or rub made.
    You can get it at a Feed Store, or farm supply.
    Bill

Us too,,, hang on,,, new sponsor soon.

sacfisher:

Rough hands are a pain but IF you can keep the tips of your thumb and first two fingers smooth; most of the time you'll be OK. I have the same problem especially in the winter.

Go to a beauty supply store and get some of the better large size foam core emery boards [url=http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/3410/707511:b283a]like these[/url:b283a] in COARSE, MEDIUM and FINE. Make sure you hands are DRY and start with the coarsest and work your way down to the finest. Make sure to take it easy the first few times or you will literally sand the skin off you fingers. I know all about that .

In any case after a session or two followed by some good hand cream you should be in good shape. Then each time you get ready to tie do a touch-up with the fine or medium board and hand cream.

It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bdesavage
    Sacfisher,
    I've got the same problem, what I've found using "Bag Balm"( its made for cows udders) it's probaly the best hand Cream, lotion, or rub made.
    You can get it at a Feed Store, or farm supply.
    Bill
    "Udderly Smooth"....might even be the same stuff..comes with a plunger dispenser...we got ours at Wal-Mart

We 'discovered' that stuff (BB) over 30 years ago, also pure lanolin. Absolutely worthless compared to the material developed by our new sponsor. This is the first I have EVER seen that actually works. So good, in fact, it still works the next day for us,,, and everyone we know who has tested it for us. It is unbelievable.

sacfisher,
    A ceramic bobbin and the best thread you can buy are a must. Try to be sensitive to how much pressure you need to put on wraps, during your fly tying.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I aggressively went after this new sponsor. I wanted to get them on FAOL so you guys could have the benefit of their product. If they 'break even' I will be surprised and they are OK with that. It sells for very little and I think there is only a small, if any, profit in it for them. Mostly,,,they are doing this for the 'flyfishers'. Really. Until you try it and understand you will probably think this is BS, but you know I don't do that about any product. One thing; do not use more than is recommended. More is not better. RTFM!!!
    I expect to get them on line tonight.

QUESTION? Does anyone know where Bag Balm is made?
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread