+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello gang - New to FAOL

Default Hello gang - New to FAOL

Just found this web site and FAOL looks to really have its act together and all the bases covered. It also appears to have a great group as well.

I fish the tail waters of the Cumberland here in KY, and several places in and around my home state of NH, when I can get up there.

Have been reading lots of posts over the last couple of evenings looking for a hint of another fly fisher of the Cumberland without much luck. Probably one out there someplace but wasn't obvious.

When I first moved to KY in the mid 70's, I thought I would have to forget all about fly fishing for trout until I discovered the Cumberland River. Over the years the Cumberland has become one of the best fly fishing rivers for Rainbow & Brown in which I have ever had the pleasure of getting my feet wet. Slot limits were put in place almost 3 years ago and the average catch length increases every year and should peak in another 3 years. Since I wade only, the big drawback are the generators and their "always changing schedule."

Look forward to reading posts about the trout fishing out west, as I will be jumping out of the "rat race" in a few months and plan on heading that way at some point. (Someone said there is a river out there called the Snake. ) We have a little creek here in KY that is a "so so" trout stream called "Dog Slaughter." So you folks out west don't have a lock on weird names.

Great web site, great group, glad I found it.

RST
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

Hi rst!
    welcome We've been gone to the Idaho fish in and have been catching up on things and I just now saw your post. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this place as much as we do! We being my husband and fishing partner Ron
    Be sure to drop by the chat room if you get a chance ... You will meet a lot of wonderful people and get to shoot the breeze with all kinds of flyfishers! Hope you can hook up with someone from your area sometimes it takes awhile, but this place should increase your chances
    Hope to see you around!
    Vicki
    VEE

Hey rst,
    Welcome aboard. After that very complimentary post, I hurt my back taking a bow. But you're forgiven.
    Speaking of the Snake, even as I write , my wading boots are still wet from "Snake water" from this afternoon. I'm from Illinois but vacationing in NW Wyoming and fishing all the great waters out here including the Snake. I have fished the Cumberland River twice on our way to Smokey Mtn. NP and Florida. The Cumberland is so beautiful that it's a shame they have to draw it down to make Kentucky Bourbon. Well, maybe not too much of a shame. In any case, welcome again and looking forward to your posts.

Mark

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. Very nice helpful people on here. Be sure to take up Vicki's invite to visit the Chat room.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Welcome rst,

You have found the BEST flyfishing, flytying, fly anything site on the web and it is just loaded with a bunch of great members that are always willing to share their knowledge with anyone so you just jump in and ask any questions that come up and be sure to share your knowledge with us. Being new you will have to make the coffee and supply the donuts and make sure to wipe your feet before entering JC and LF home. They run a tight ship here and we appreciate it. This is a family web site and they intend to keep it that way. I have been wanting to make the trip to the Cumberland for a couple of years, but, have not been able to arrange it. It is only about a 3 hour drive from here in Tullahoma, Tennessee. If you are ever down this way I will be happy to take you fishing on our home rivers. Once again, welcome and enjoy FAOL.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

rst....welcome aboard. This a great site with even better people. I have learned so much from the site and even more from the people who are here. Dont be afraid to pull up a seat at the campfire either (which is my especialy) and enjoy the great company. I just ask that you supply some good firewood as long as it is not green...ask some of those who were in Lowell about my efforts to burn some very green wood LOL.
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Hi rst
    A welcome from almost your home state. I live 1/2 mile from the very s.w. corner of NH. Hope you stick around and enjoy this place.
    jed

Welcome. You will enjoy it here. Lots to learn and the finest bunch of folks in cyberspace. Many of them are real fine in person too

Mike

Default Thank You!!!!

WOW what a great "Welcome Aboard," THANK YOU ALL, I certainly appreciate the response. Fly Fishers are a breed apart and you all know what I mean by that.

Vicki - I'll drop by the chat room at some point, I haven't been involved in a chat room before but this looks like a forgiving bunch so may give it a shot. We have a group that fishes the Cumberland but they are not as "anal" (can I say that here?) as I am, and tend to want to sleep in on the weekends instead of throwing a fly through the morning river fog. I'm always looking to expand the group.

Mark - Glad to hear you have fished the Cumberland, it is a special place. If you ever hit it again let me know and I'll show or tell you some of the places I like to go. That is "IF" the "GENERATOR GODS" are smiling.

Jed - I definitely will stick around, I want to mention some of the backpacking trips I have made into the White Mountains to remote ponds, and see if you have been there. Some of the finest Native Brookies I have ever seen.

Mike, MarkKillam, WarrrenP & Gnu Bee Flyer, thanks for all your greetings and comments as well. As you all know I'm new here and this probably isn't the right place to answer like this, but I get a pass being the rookie. I'll have to read the "do's and don?ts" section before I do too much posting.

I'm going to start wandering around the site and see if I can't get a little more familiar with all that is here.

So THANKS AGAIN for the warm welcome, look forward to getting to know all you "cyber" fly fishers a little better.

RST (Bob T.)
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

rst, I have done almost no backpacking in NH and very little at all over the last few years. I've got a pack but no back. I'm a day trip, short walk/kayak/boat kind of fisherman. I used to live in Northern VT and even there backpacking was hard to justify as I lived in places as nice as any you could hike to.

jed

+ Reply to Thread