+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what a heron taught me

Default what a heron taught me

SE PA has been seeing a large resurgence of black bears, coyotes, and great blue herons. This week I was ffishing a riffle of a local tailwater that I thought I knew well. I thought I understood the holding areas, the feeding lies and, most importantly, where, when and under what circumstances the alpha trouts would move into the riffle from the deep holding water to feed, particularly at dusk during summer and early fall.

While I was busy trying to cash in on a multiple caddis hatch and ovipositing, a white cahill spinner fall, midges and a Baetis and maybe Pseudocloen hatch, I noticed a heron had flown in to the very top of the riffle, where the water is fast but impossibly (so I thought) thin. In short order, he snagged a fish, but let it go - I think it might have been a sunfish or rock bass, judging from its profile.

The heron crossed over to the other side of the river. Just after I hooked a nice rainbow on a Colorado King and while I was playing it, trying to bring it up the slow wash right below me so I wouldn't have to move and disrupt the feeding trouts, I saw him stab a 13" trout, right below where the flat tailed over into the top of the riffle.

I have never in all my years attempted to ffish that particular spot. Apparently the heron knew his business, so I cast into some equivalent water upstream from me, and got a big boil, which I missed. The light was pretty dim, and since I had never calibrated the drift lines on that piece of water, I didn't have good control on my slack.

As I waded back to the car, I quartered down over a similar spot and missed another nice one.

Next time, I'm going to check the drift lines on these skinny spots in broad daylight and hope I can match the heron's success at the right time of day. Except they don't C&R trouts.

Too bad these beautiful predators are protected. I looked into what preys on herons, and apparently eagles are their main enemies. Now, evidently eagles don't vote or have to pay taxes, so they don't seem to abide by our federal regulations. Besides, they're protected species themselves. Fortunately, eagles seem to be coming back here in PA.

Come ON Eagles ( and I don't mean the ball team).

tl
    les

Herons are a large problem in western Pa. The trouble is they kill more fish than they eat. I had one come into my Gold fish pond it killed my pet fish that my Grand kids used to feed.

Regards

JaD
    Fish like predator.

if theres a heron on a stream than theres definitly fish

Matt

If you think the herons eat a lot of fish, wait till the eagles move in...

Quote Originally Posted by RG/AR
    If the otters were there first the herons and eagles won't bother....

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Quote Originally Posted by RG/AR
    Once the bears get there none of the others will bother.

[quote=Warm Water Fly Fisher]
    Quote Originally Posted by "RG/AR":ba4b1
    Once the bears get there none of the others will bother.[/quote:ba4b1]

None of them can hold a candle to what humans can do though!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

[quote=JeffHamm]
    Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    Quote Originally Posted by "RG/AR":f2fb4
    Once the bears get there none of the others will bother.
    None of them can hold a candle to what humans can do though!

- Jeff[/quote:f2fb4]

We should be limited to fly rods

I suppose the MARTIANS will get blamed next!
    Doug P.S. Next stop www.ComedyCentral.com
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Les:

Unfortunately for me, very close by is the 400 acre Quakertown Swamp which is the largest freshwater inland wetland in southeastern Pennsylvania. Besides everything else it boasts the largest Great Blue Heron rookery in the southeastern part of the state.

I see them just about every place I fish. I once had one not see me as I was fishing a Sulphur hatch one evening and fly straight at me before pulling up at the last second. Man if you think bats are bad, try having a modern day Pterodactyl coming straight toward you!

But I have learned a few things from them too, like keeping my upper body as still as possible while I move when stalking a fish.

I call it doing the FHM which is an acronym for Fat Heron Maneuver".

+ Reply to Thread