+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newcomer inquiries

Welcome

I agree it will be helpful to buy a getting started booklet. Dave Whitlock also wrote one targeted for beginners " The LL Bean Fly fishing handbook". You can augment from the web but it is good to have one general overall source or it is hard to see the over all picture.

Tippet and leader. Fly fishing leaders are generally heavier near where it attaches to the fly line and thins toward the connection to the fly. These are called tapered leaders. You will have to learn a few knots if you want to make you own. Tippets are the lighter in lb test than the leader. If the light end of the leader is 5 lbs the tippet might be 3- 4lbs say for trout.

If a fly outfit is labeled 5/6 It means the rod is designed to cast a 5 weight double tapered(DT) line or a 6 weight weight forward (WF) line. Yes fly lines come in different shapes.

How you fish with flies depends on the conditions and the what the fly is supoose to imitate.there are volumes of books and debateson this subject. You can take a common cents approach.If you are fishing a streamer like a white wooly bugger which could suggest a minnow and minnows which swims so it is appropriate to strip in or move this type of fly. A small fly like a size 18 or smaller is generally more helpless in the water so especially in a stream with current it would just drift along with the current.

on small fish we generally do not use the reel and strip the fish so we can get our fly back in the water quicker. there is no rule that says you can't reel them in, but if you do you first have to reel up all you slack line, reel the fish in , and then strip line back out so you can cast again.

I did,nt really understand you last question.

If you have any ponds near you that have access to I would suggest started out fishing for bluegills in still water especially in the spring when they are aggressive. Current adds another demension to controling your line.learn how to cast either through a friend who is a good fly caster, or through lessons, or a video such as Dynamics of fly casting by Joan Wulff. Practice casting when you are on land and fish when you are on the water

You should check with your local fly shop. They probably have casting and on the water classes that will answer most of your questions and speed up the learning process. Of course, if you're stubborn like me you can struggle for a year before getting proffesional help. Whichever way you go you're in for a great adventure and some very frustrating days before it comes together. Just keep at it, it's worth it. Tight lines Mike

Welcome Ron,

You've asked questions that take books to answer but I'll try some.

Tippet is good, but not necessary. It saves the leader from becoming too short too fast and gives you more distance from a big fat obvious fly line.

Casting I'll leave to others with this exception you generally pull in line with your left hand prior to casting (as needed) and when casting you feed line out. You left hand controls the feeding of the line.

Using the reel is a good idea because it gives you more control. Against a tiny fish you don't need it so you can not do so but otherwise the reel with the appropriate drag setting makes it easier to play a fish and to not be broken off. Nothing will do damage to the reel except some really large fish stripping tons of line off the reel at great speeds or dirt. So keep it clean and hope for the fish big enough to blow up your reel. It probably won't hurt a thing and if it does it will be a run to remember.

Flies in the most general sense:
    Dry flies are cast upstream and allowed to drift with as little interference as possible. When you casat a dry fly it should look as free floating and should float at the same speed as the twig or whatever is floating next to it.

Wet flies are cast across or across and down and are allowed to drift free or with twitches (depending on a million different things). They come across the current and change direction at the end of the drift wichi is a very effective time to catch fish.

Streamers are fished like wet flies with more action and retrieval.

These are simple guidelines and once you get more skilled you will see opportunities to vary from these guidelines and develop the techniques to do so effectively.

Hope this helps.

jed

Join a local fly fishing club such as Trout Unlimited or a FFF affiliate.
    Go to the meetings,introduce yourself around,take the club's classes
    You'll have a huge jump start and have fun too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

5. Default Re: Newcomer inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie84
    .......Is it possible to use two different fly line weights on a single rod? Reason I ask is because while looking around at Wal-Mart today I noticed a Scientific Anglers outfit labled 'Weight 5/6'. I'm assuming that means you could use either five or 6 weight on that rod?........
    You can use several line weights on a single rod. Sometimes called 'underlining' and 'overlining'. The lighter the line weight the longer the length of line required to load the rod, and vice versa. So, if for instance you fish a small stream or are targeting fish at short range, you might want to fish a heavier line weight than is suggested for the rod - that way you can load the rod with the appropriate length of line for the situation.

When you get into your fly-fishing more you'll come to see that depending on your casting style and situation you will end up opting for either the exact line to match the recommended rating, or you'll go one up or down. If you buy from a good outfitters they'll talk to you about the type of fishing you'll be doing and advise on the right line.

I have a Greys Missionary 5/6 and I fish it with a 5 weight forward taper line. Some might call that slight underlining - for me it loads the rod just right, and stops the tip kicking when I make the longer casts required on my local river.

Is it necessary to have a tippet? NO
    Does it hurt not to have one? Sometimes
    If using a tippet, do you match it with the leader in terms of lb. test? Yes and the size of the fly

Is it possible to use two different fly line weights on a single rod? Reason I ask is because while looking around at Wal-Mart today I noticed a Scientific Anglers outfit labled 'Weight 5/6'. I'm assuming that means you could use either five or 6 weight on that rod? yes and you can "overweight" your rod with heavier line.

As far as fishing flies...this is where I really become clueless. How do you fish them? That comes form experience. Read about it for now.Prior to even thinking about fly fishing, I pictured it as casting and basically letting a fly drift, bringing it back in as it got downstream. Obviously that's not the case. Is it basically the same as conventional fishing? It depends on what fly you are using. A wolley bugger can be fished like "normal fishing", dy flies are normally drifted and nymphs.....well we won't get into that.Is the fly brought to life by rod twitches or what? As far as particular flies go, off the top of my head I'm familiar with Wooly Buggers, Streamers, Nymphs, Dry Flies, Poppers and Wet Flies. How do you fish each one? Just a general idea would be appreciated. Again, I'm just plain clueless as to what you do with a fly upon casting it out. That may sound retarded, but that's just how clueless I am.

Bringing fish in...now I've read that it can be done by 'stripping' or utilizing the reel (if the fish is large). The question I ask is does it hurt the reel to use it, big fish or small fish? no
    Or I guess another way to put it is why not use the reel even on a small fish? because you don't have time and you can't let the line go out enough usually to get the fish "on the reel"

Say I cast with my right hand, as far as I know, the left hand is used to bring strip line in or reel in. I've noticed a little slack line out with the left hand out holding it whilst casting with the right. The question here is what is the purpose of holding slack line whilst casting? comes with practice I might be answering my own question but regardless...is it to let more line cast out or to shorten a cast? Hopefully that makes sense...

Casting cranks, vertical jigging, trolling, drifting, tossing inline spinners and buzzbaits, minnows under a bobber, etc...this is the fishing I've known my whole life -- fly fishing is completely foreign to me but it's something I'd really like to get into and learn as much as possible. I'm sure I'll have another question or two later, but this is what I've got for now. All help is appreciated.

I've only been fly fishing for about 5 months now but have learned a TON by reading on the internet. Use common sense when reading and don't belive all the bull out there. If someone says "this is the only way you can do so and so" you know they are full of bull. Many fly fisherman are so "dyed in the wool" they have no common sense.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

BBW, might I ask how far you are from the White River in AR?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I'm assuming you are talking to me?
    About 3-5 hours depending on where on the White. We usually go to the Little Red however.
    Some awesome trout fishing in Arkansas!
    White river, Little Red river, Spring river and more I'm sure.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks Big Bad Wulff...I was just curious.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Big Bad Wulff, what part of West Tennessee are you in? I went to school in Martin. My brother lives in Memphis.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread