Hi Nighthawk,

I would suggest some soft-hackle flies. Simple to tie, and often very effective. Keep the body as slim as possible (i.e., two layers of tying thread, just down the shank and back up), and the body ends at the point or half-way to the barb (though some styles, as Donald has pointed out, are even shorter). Most importantly, keep the hackle sparse (one turn of partrigde feather is enough, two at the very most, and only until you get comfortable with just one!). These are usually tied in sizes 12 to 16, though smaller can be done as can larger.

You can add a thorax (small dubbed lump), and a dusting of dubbing over body as well. Peakcock hurl can be wrapped as a throax, or in front of the hackle as the head. Ribbing of thread, or very light wire is sometimes added. I think adding a tail turns them into a "flymph", while "tail-less" they are "North Country Spiders". Bodies are typically thread or floss, but hurls, fibers, and dubbing can all be used for bodies.

As simple as these patterns can be (as little as two materials, body and hackle), they can really improve ones tying skills. They allow you to concentrate on the neatness of your thread wraps, neatness of hackle, proportions, the head, etc. With everythign so sparse, and minimal, they really help one learn just how little dubbing material one has to use, etc. Donald has a few posts showing a wonderful variety of patterns, and all are beautifully tied.

The great thing is, these flies are also great fish catchers. When you see the fish feeding just below the surface, choose a soft-hackle. When you see them taking off the surface, choose a soft-hackle on a light wire hook!

- Jeff