+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AuSable River MI

Default AuSable River MI

I missed the Fish In on the AuSable this year, and really wanted to fish that water. (Wanted to meet some nice people too!)So the wife was heading south to Kentucky and I decided to head north to Gates AuSable Lodge the weekend of Sept 30. First let me say that Rusty Gates and the staff at Gates AuSable Lodge are all a class act.Friday afternoon Rusty sent me to the Mason Tract and a few hours later I was bringing in a beautiful fall colored brookie with a Bald Eagle watching me from the top of a pine tree. OK, this weekend was already a success. Saturday I fished the trophy waters below Mio with a guide Rusty recommended and caught 10/12 browns, the biggest 16". All were caught on streamers which I love to fish in the fall. I think I actually impressed the guide that an old #### like me could cast and strip in streamers for 6 hours. Overall a great way to end the season up here in Chicago Land.

sport, glad to hear you had a good trip, I traveled from Chi-town to the Fish-In this year and it was a real eye-opener. Not sure if you've tried it yet, but if you get a chance this spring (it seems a long way off), make sure to hit Lake Arlington with some of your lightweight tackle, for some of the best public water bluegill fishing in the North suburbs... those pre-spawn male bluegills have some great color as well, and as a catch and release fishery, you'll get plenty of decent sized ones.

+ Reply to Thread